Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 168

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What is this ?
Just popping in
Just popping in

BigT
See User information
I'm looking @ buying a 48 Packard ( don't know anything about them ) but it looks to be in very good shape - all original - and runs pretty well. The eng # is 389719327 and the cowl # is 2272 9428. Do these #'s idicate the model name ( there seem to be alot of combos in the naming system ) ? I'm a little concerned about the way the car hovers up front when driving. But the front shocks look to be at the top of the springs. Are these rebuildable / replaceable ? and how big of a job is that ? Any other suggestion as to what to look for in the way of potential problems would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks , BigT

Attach file:

jpg  (57.91 KB)
1012_48ea6b39239c4.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2008/10/6 13:41
 Top  Print   

Re: What is this ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
It's a Super Eight Touring Sedan. Go to the Packard model info section and enter 2272 in the model box. That will take you to all the info on that car. Yes the knee action shock absorbers are re-buildable but not by the general do-it-yourselfer. I just had mine done and it was expensive. I really like the bathtub Packards, they represent a short, stylistically unique era.

Posted on: 2008/10/6 13:57
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

BigT
See User information
Thankx J.D. , and did the rebuild improve the handling / ride of your vehicle ? Thanks again , BigT

Posted on: 2008/10/6 16:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
Yes it is a Super Eight. It has a 327ci. engine. The shocks on these cars were routinely ignored. They use hydraulic fluid. Yours may simply be low on fluid. I have a 47 Custom that needed fluid. I filled the shocks and it drives great. Once you get the shocks working correctly, I'm sure you will love the ride.

Posted on: 2008/10/6 20:16
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Yes the rebuild improved the ride of the car. I couldn't keep fluid in the shocks because they leaked profusely. I used Apple Hydraulics for the re-build and was very satisfied with the end result. Removing the shocks can be a real challenge since they are an integral part of the suspension linkage.

Posted on: 2008/10/6 22:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
BigT wrote: I'm looking @ buying a 48 Packard ( don't know anything about them ) but it looks to be in very good shape - all original - and runs pretty well.......BigT

BigT,

Welcome aboard the Packardinfo Site. When, hopefully, you end up buying the '48 Super Eight could you please put it in the Owner Registry together with a pic, and history if known?

Again

Posted on: 2008/10/6 22:18
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

BigT
See User information
I'd be proud to join such a group. Thanks again , BigT

Posted on: 2008/10/8 20:16
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Frank
See User information
I hope you bought that Packard. The bathtubs are my favorite. My uncle had one, my dad had several, and now I have one that I'm rebuilding with my boys. Good luck with it.

Posted on: 2008/10/8 22:53
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved