Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 85

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 48 Packard question
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

pontchief
See User information

Posted on: 2008/10/6 7:05
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

pontchief
See User information
Quote:
This style is my favorite "bathtub" Packard. I hesitate to use that pejorative, because the rejection of the styling is, I think, a rush to judgment. I saw a beautifully restored sedan on the street the other evening, and under the lights alongside the "modern" cars it looked beautiful. But, it's a matter of taste. The design DID win a number of awards-- but not from car people. About that hole... I'll just add a couple of pure guesses: 1. There was another backup light installed like the one on the left. 2. Wherever that right bumper guard went, it could've taken something else with it... or left a neatly punched hole. I lean toward #1. Good to hear from Norwegian friends. You've got a lot of expatriates here in Minneapolis, Minnesota. I'm yust a quarter, myself.

Hi

Actually, Bosque county in Texas , were I bought the house, there is a lot of people with Norwegian heritage.

Here is the city sign for the biggest city in this county.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2008/10/6 8:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Pretty neat! Home away from home. I wonder how many of the population are Minnesota retirees?

Posted on: 2008/10/10 1:17
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
there is no Super Deluxe in the 22nd series - it was introduced in the 23rd, based on the Super Eight. The car is most likely an Eight Deluxe, but could be a Super Eight if it has the 327. The Eight Deluxe and Eight have the same 288 engine, but different trim, including the stainless over the windows which another poster noted. (also door trim differences and different upholstery) This one has the "closed mouth" front bumper.

The hole by the trunk is where the remote spare fill or a second back up light would be located. The hole is rather large for either. I have a similar car, and it had a later antenna mounted there.

mechanical parts are relatively easy to come by. The trim pieces that are only used on fastbacks and convertibles (like the door trim) is more difficult.

Posted on: 2008/10/10 9:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Baird
See User information
The were Super Eight deluxe cars for the 22nd series cars. They were models 2270 and 2271. However, you are correct that they were not in 5 passenger sedan. They were only 7 passenger sedan and limousine.

By the trim above the door and the fact that it has turn signals, it is probably a model 2275, A super Eight. However, I can't see the trim piece that goes from the door toward the windshield wiper post. So, it could be a Deluxe Eight 2265. I believe they also had the trim above the doors. The clincher would be to determine the engine displacement. If it is a 327, it's a Super if a 288 it's a deluxe. Again be cautious about using the numbers on the head. Frequently heads were changed to up the compression. The most accurate way to determine is by the engine number. If it is a G2xxxxx it is the deluxe with a 288. If it is a G4xxxxx it is the Super with a 327.

Buy it you'll love it.

Posted on: 2008/10/11 13:45
North Hills Packards
2 - 1949 Super Convertibles
1949 Club Sedan
1947 Custom Sedan
Completed a book on the 22nd & 23rd series cars
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Hartmann
See User information
It appears the car in the photograph has been "dead" for many many years.

To advise this fellow competently, we would need rough estimates as to what it would cost Just for the parts and specialized services - not "labor"; some of you guys call that a "labor of love") to make this Packard serviceable.

Then compare the cost of bringing back a "dead" Packard, compared to the cost of simply buying one that has been maintained properly in serviceable condition.

My "hunch" is you could buy at least ONE, possibly TWO similar Packards in serviceable condition for what it would cost to revive the thing in the photograph. Chances are you could buy a "bath-tub" CUSTOM (the one with the "big" engine that is such a spectacular performer) for MUCH less than that dead thing would cost, brought back to decent condition.

For example, a cost of a respectable "factory type" full re-upholstery of a "junior motor" powered Packard, coupled with re-chroming and an engine overhaul, could be as much or more than buying a nice well maintained Custom.

But again, hard to give advice to someone who has their own priorities. My recommendation, if you just like to fix things for the fun of fixing them (as distinguished from the REAL joy of experiencing driving a Packard automobile) is DONT BUY THE PACKARD.

The logic is simple - if your primary motivation is you just like to fix things, get a later model Ford, Chevrolet, or Plymouth, for which parts are readily avail. , both from auto parts stores, and, in the case of sheet metal, in junk yards. Some of you mention "the journey, not the destination" as the value in fixing old cars. That's fine. That is, again, IF you do NOT know what the alternative is = driving a Packard !

This a matter of personal desires. The big problem here is that a lot of people who THINK they will get satisfaction just out of fixing things, have no experience with actually DRIVING a properly maintained Packard. Those of you who do own and operate PROPERLY MAINTAINED Packards know EXACTLY what I am talking about.

What I am talking about, is the fact that there is a REASON why Packard became a legend. Its products really were that marvelous.

Out of economic necessity I have always worked on my own vehicles. Cars, trucks, boats, airplanes. In the case of my own Packard - didn't have the money to take my own advice! Had to over-haul my Twelve when I bought it -(bad rings!) 30 years later had to over-haul it again (drove the #$$#!* out of it; all cars need servicing eventually !)

So I know about the satisfaction of doing a repair right. It is satisfying whether I am working on my Ford, my Toyota, or the Chevrolet motor in my boat, or the Lycoming in my airplane.

But I say again - THERE IS NOTHING -NOTHING LIKE THE SATISFACTION OF DRIVING A PACKARD ! THAT is what generated the Packard legend. It is REAL !

So for that reason, coming from one who knows, THAT is why I suggest you buy a serviceable Packard ! They are WORTH IT !

Posted on: 2008/10/15 10:41
If it has a red hex on the hub-cap, I love it
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

pontchief
See User information
Interesting reading and I agree, thats its much better to spend some more money and buy a car in better shape.

But I will anyway go there next time and take a better look at it.

Posted on: 2008/10/25 4:41
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved