Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
70 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 68

HH56, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: BMW after WWII
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Did the "Glaserati" use a Maserati engine?

Posted on: 2008/10/11 9:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tobs
See User information
I know it's quite a while after WWII, but from what I remember reading/seeing at the BMW museum (3 miles from where I live) BMW didn't really thrive until the 60's when with the 1600's or cars similar to the 2002 came out. The 507 (cabrio similar to the Z8 of a few years ago) was also designed more for the American market, if not actually designed there during the 50's.
Also, regarding the isetta, I heard the front door handle is actually from a refrigerator.
Aufwiederlesen.
Mike

Posted on: 2008/10/11 10:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Guscha: During the early 60's BMW was in a severe financial crisis. The government approaches Glas about buying, obtaining, or taking over BWM. When in 1964 BMW finally started getting on it feet and turning a profit.

In the mid 60's when Glas started having money problems the government this time approach BMW about taking over Glass. Which they did as you stated happened in 1967. BMW discontinued Glas in 1969.

If you feel that my source reference material on this matter is wrong, I don't mind being corrected.

During the 50's BMW even talked to Auto Union about a possible merger, but in the end BMW said no. Another plan during the 50's was to build a small Simca, which we all know never happened.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/10/11 20:42
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved