Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 76

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1940 110 engine selection
Just popping in
Just popping in

Tobey Shattenberg
See User information
1940 110 with oldsmobile engine and tranny, camaro rear end, olds front end, packard body of course. Having problems with the olds. motor that the guy down the street put in (who knows how many miles it has on it) so I want to either rebuild or get a crate motor for this car. Any info on the best motor and tranny combo that will fit in the car well?

Posted on: 2008/10/12 7:19
 Top  Print   

Re: 1940 110 engine selection
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
A 1940 Packard inline 6 cylinder engine with a Packard 3 speed transmission would be my choice.

Posted on: 2008/10/12 8:27
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Tobey Shattenberg
See User information
Yes that would have been nice, unfortunately the guy also took those parts and replaced them with the olds. 350.. and my pa in law who doesn't know any better beleived him when he said they were junk and he brought them to the scrap yard. I think he sold them and still took my pa in laws money on the "repair work" which was just a lousy swap out with a junk 350 and tranny..

Posted on: 2008/10/12 8:48
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

PackardV12fan
See User information
Clipper 47 - I dont understand why you would advise this guy to put a "110" Packard motor & tranny into a modern car ? This guy dosnt have a pre-war Packard. What he has, is some sheet metal from an old Packard mounted on a modern car.

May I suggest you go out and drive a Packard "110" - a REAL one, meaning, a STOCK one? Before you go recommending that level of performance ( or lack of it ) to someone accustomed to high performance levels? ( like, for example, the fantastic performance you & other "big" Packard owners enjoy when driving your Super / Custom/"160/80" series Clipper, with its fantastic "356" motor ?

Yes, from the fire-wall BACK, the early-mid 40's Packards are the same car (with much more luxurious interior fittings for the "big" Packards.

The problem in trying to compare them, is that both the 6 cyl. Packards AND the big "356" Packards have something on the floor called a GAS PEDAL. Those who have pressed that thing on BOTH, know EXACTLY what I am referring to !

Posted on: 2008/10/12 17:03
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Tobey Shattenberg
See User information
Well for all of the work I have done on the electrical system (power windows, door locks, powered seats, powered antenna, satellite radio, 12" subs with 1000w amp, powered trunk opener, AC, keyless entry) I think we deserve some power in the motor part of things. I am dissapointed that the guy who swapped the engine supposedly scrapped the original stuff, but we want something with balls and reliability. Its too late to try to keep everything stock, except the outside which we have tried very hard to keep as stock as we possibly can.. mirrors trim wheels hood deco peices etc. So hopefully with your help I would like to either rebuild the engine (within my capabilities) or replace with a crate motor and tranny...

Posted on: 2008/10/12 17:30
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

PackardV12fan
See User information
my recommendation would be any late model "mouse" (GM family of 350 cu in small blocks). I would buy the whole thing directly out of a still-assembled car - engine, tranny, and accessories ready to "plug in".

There are a number of firms that advertise "plug in" computer harnesses so you have a relatively easy hook-up to just about any wiring system. With modern electronically-controlled multi-speed transmissions, you can enjoy a fairly low rear axle ratio, and still have a nice "over-drive type" over-all final drive ratio.

Dont listen to the "Packard Purists". Their discussions are COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to what you've got. You have what sounds like an interesting 'hot-rod custom" (on which someone has fastened the exterior sheet metal parts of an old Packard. Nothing wrong with that. Dont be embarssed bout it.

Posted on: 2008/10/12 18:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Peter, Lighten up and save the pedantic lecturing about what I should drive or have driven and what the differences are between a Packard Six and a 356 Super Eight! Didn't you see the little smiley face at the end of the post. My post was not intended to embarrass but to express my opinion, in a light hearted way, that I don't much like street rodded Packards. I am a "purist" regarding Packards and for that I make no apology. A Packard with a GM chassis and driveline is no longer a Packard IMHO.
I am surprised that someone with your penchant for making sarcastic posts would not see this. The car in question is basically a street rod and of course the original engine would be inappropriate given that the front clip has been changed out for a late model GM one. Your suggestion that the ubiquitous 350/350 (yawn) is probably the easiest and cheapest swap motor is good advice. If it were my car I would probably drop in a Chevrolet 235 Six with dual carbs and split exhaust just to make the car more interesting than the 350/350 which is so commonplace. Sad as it may be, to return it to being a Packard again would not be a feasible option.

Posted on: 2008/10/12 22:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Kev,

It might be appropriate to move this thread to the Modification Discussion Forum.

Posted on: 2008/10/12 23:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
If anyone on this forum still has a hardon for Mr. Hartmann after this rant they need to have their f'n head examined, IMHO.

Posted on: 2008/10/13 0:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information

Posted on: 2008/10/13 9:17
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved