Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 107

29tons, Karl, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Sprags?
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
My car is in the middle of a trans job. I am informed that the sprags or sprag plates need to be replaced and are hard to find.

If you have some you would consider parting with, please pm me!

The uissue is cracks....

56, if I recall right about the 1600th car produced....

Or is there an interchange? New ones somewhere?

Thank you

Posted on: 2014/5/24 12:08
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

Re: Sprags?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
To my knowledge the sprag clutch parts have been pretty much unavailable as NOS for a very long time, and no interchange that I'm aware of - if there is an interchange Ross or possibly Ultramatic Dynamics will know. If your sprags are bluish, probably from overheating due to trans abuse or negligent service or incorrect adjustments. I think your best bet is to buy a used transmission for parts (also for a good torque converter if you're still running with the wave washer) and hope for the best, or perhaps Mike Dulinski will disassemble one for you to get the parts - that's how I got my spare "just in case" set of sprags.

As long as your trans is apart, if your unit still has the wave washer in the converter I STRONGLY advise replacing it - Kanter sells a wave washer eliminator kit based on the 1955 parts.

Posted on: 2014/5/24 12:37
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Good news! Have everything needed and possible extras! Several folks provided useful leads; I can't thank you enough!

Is the wave washer the bit that caused so many problems when these were new? Trans did not have it I'm informed.

One of our guys is getting married on the 31st; hopefully I can go in the car, as opposed to going in a car...

Posted on: 2014/5/25 15:22
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The original wave washer was a change for 1956, replacing what time has proven to be the better design. Even after it was superceded with a superior (phosphate, hardened?) wave washer, it still can cause problems. If the edges of the "wave" wear thru, it breaks into small pieces of hardened steel which then can tear up the turbine vanes.

Posted on: 2014/5/25 16:15
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved