Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (66 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 99

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

22nd series center link service/rebuild...
Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Hi everyone,

Well, after the unseasonable warm Chicago winter, I finally opened the garage and got back to stripping down the rest of the front frame, steering and suspension to be prepared for paint. I pulled the center link (or is it a drag link?) and tie rods to prepare for paint. The tie rods are shot, so they will be replaced. Is there a service/rebuild that should be done on the center link where "inner tie rods" would be? I know that there are not inner ties, but I'm not sure how those pivot/rotations get serviced..

...and last question... both of those shafts are bent. ...and both shafts don't appear to be bent equally. Is that correct? I have included a picture.

Thanks,

Mark

Attach file:

jpg  (89.34 KB)
2686_53842afb4d474.jpg 1280X719 px

Posted on: 2014/5/27 0:59
 Top  Print 

Re: 22nd series center link service/rebuild...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
if the ball end are not warren it is a take apart and clean. the right outer link looks bent,it doer have a slight bend but yours looks excessive. dell

Posted on: 2014/5/27 10:28

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Sometime in the past someone bent them to set the toe-in?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/5/27 10:52
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
I didn't look closely... But how does that come off of the center link??? Is there a cap on there that needs to come off that covers the bolt? Is that part considered an "inner tie rod"? I don't see one listed on a vendor's site. I assume that I will need to hunt down a straighter replacement off of a junker?

Thanks,

Mark

Posted on: 2014/5/27 11:52
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It sure does look bent. According to the parts manual both sides use the same piece and are almost straight. It comes apart by removing the screw plug at the ends of tube and then removing the individual cups and associated parts retaining both the idler lever and the bar assy. If the threaded plug is tight then it may need a drag link socket to unscrew.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.38 KB)
209_5384d7e2deb8e.jpg 749X408 px

Posted on: 2014/5/27 13:23
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
take the cotter key out of the ends and unscrew the plugs, it all comes apart. just lay out parts as you take apart and take a picture or draw a map. it not to hard and i think the parts book has a blow up. it should not be hard to find a replacement end. dell ps looks like howard posted the picture for you

Posted on: 2014/5/27 13:24

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved