Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: This was in my email today....
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
I seem to remember that my cover had a metal tab that had a "T" on one bolt and another tab that had the ratio in terms like "14/43". So I think I have Twin Traction without doing the test. This is all from memory, so do the necessary math adjustments. Some days you just don't feel like crawling back under the car to see if you're right.

I may have been lucky to have bought a mechanic-owned Packard (for 45 years). There was very little about the car that wasn't done right. But he also ascribed to the theory that if it is still working right, don't mess with it. That may be one reason those metal tabs are still on my differential cover. The gear lube does look clean and fresh and there's no unusual noise or howl so there's no need for me to check any further.

Posted on: 2014/6/2 10:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Quote:
I wonder what made the mechanic decide to remove the cover.

I made them do it, because there was noise in that area. Turned out to be the left wheel bearing, so had both replaced and the Watts linkage rebushed.

If this is a limited slip differential, I'll be amazed. Never seen any evidence of same in driving.....but I haven't been in a situation where it would be visible.....

I asked the mechanic if the bolts were tabbed, but they are not.

Does leave you thinking that checking yours might be a good idea....

FWIW the noise that led to this was sided, in this case louder on the drivers side, present whenever rolling and pretty much the same coasting or accelerating. Sounded to me more like a bearing issue and I got lucky....

Posted on: 2014/6/2 13:34
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If this is a limited slip differential, I'll be amazed

Then be amazed. But unless you're driving in snow and ice I don't expect you'd notice. Glad the noise was a wheel bearing but you still have less-than-ideal tooth contact between the ring and pinion which really should be corrected.

Posted on: 2014/6/2 14:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
As i said before, detetmine if ANY kind of washer is speced for the bolts or someother locking type arrangement for the bolts. Chek thr msnual and parts book.

Posted on: 2014/6/2 16:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
You just saved a ton of money, it is not uncommon for Dana bolts to back out. That's what Loc-tite is for. The shop will obviously check the ring bolts too. May as well replace the clutch plates while you are in there...
My brother just finished up the rear on a '47 Jaguar- A Dana too. It spit a bolt through the rear cover & bent the ring flange, at least it could be fixed :)

Posted on: 2014/6/2 17:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Quote:
Chek thr msnual and parts book.

The 55-56 service manual only covers the new Dana rear axle for 56 - nothing on the TT diff. I'd bet that this was because of TT's late introduction in production.

The site's Service Index shows that preliminary info on the TT diff was later provided in a newsletter, which advises that this particular differential was only serviced as an assembly. While that article goes on to direct the reader to a bulletin for additional information for service, that document doesn't provide any internal details, but only the P/Ns for service assemblies. That's all the 55-56 parts book shows for the TT diff (listed as 'Power Lock'), as well.

The 57 Clipper shop manual supplement and 57-58 parts book take the same position on service. Although a Studebaker service bulletin from 57 offers an exploded view, this is for a second design (with disc-type clutches) - NOT the same as the 56 unit (with cone-type clutched. However, I haven't found any details on disassembly and reassembly for even that unit.

Gotta wonder if Dana had some sort of internal documentation that at least covered details of assembly for the original version, if not overhaul.

Posted on: 2014/6/2 19:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Had dinner last night with the shop owner and got schooled on torquing so the bolts don't pull out. Fascinating stuff; correct reassembly is very important for subsequent health....

Then and again, they're almost sixty years old....

Car will be done tomorrow if all tests well although I may not be able to get there immediately.... It's about 30 miles through significant traffic....

Quote:
As i said before, detetmine if ANY kind of washer is speced for the bolts or someother locking type arrangement for the bolts. Chek thr msnual and parts book.

No washers. Specific torque stretches the threads the correct amount and holds it together. I hope.

Posted on: 2014/6/3 0:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve203
See User information
Specific torque stretches the threads the correct amount and holds it together. I hope.

In 75, I dropped some sample castings off at the Dana plant in Edgerton, Wisconsin. The Dana engineer I met gave me a tour of the plant. He showed me the differential bolts and explained "they are 100% inspection, oil coated, and they are torqued almost to the breaking point".

Maybe a bit off topic for the thread, but does anyone know why Packard changed axles? My reading says Packard moved the machining line for rear axles to Utica for 55. So they shut that line down a year later and outsourced axles to Dana? The Dana axles had issues, like the cracks I have read about elsewhere? And the Packard built axles did not have issues?

Thanks

Posted on: 2014/6/3 8:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

56executive
See User information
POWR-LOK maintenance instructions

Attach file:

jpg  (54.43 KB)
1052_538ddbdf6693a.jpg 576X752 px

jpg  (64.60 KB)
1052_538ddbefec8b3.jpg 576X745 px

jpg  (66.75 KB)
1052_538ddc012c580.jpg 576X745 px

jpg  (74.03 KB)
1052_538ddc0fda538.jpg 576X745 px

jpg  (74.16 KB)
1052_538ddc2312d36.jpg 576X740 px

jpg  (70.60 KB)
1052_538ddc383c4f7.jpg 576X740 px

jpg  (60.57 KB)
1052_538ddc4444bd1.jpg 576X740 px

jpg  (65.02 KB)
1052_538ddc50b0891.jpg 576X740 px

jpg  (10.19 KB)
1052_538ddefbc8260.jpg 208X272 px

Posted on: 2014/6/3 9:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
To quote from the Scottish play....

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury
Signifying nothing.
-- Macbeth (Act 5, Scene 5, lines 17-28)

I think the bard owned a Packard.....

Posted on: 2014/6/3 16:00
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved