Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
70 user(s) are online (44 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 69

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hemmings Classic Car
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
If you get a chance, pickup the July 2014 issue of Hemmings Classic Car.
There is a good article about Ralph Marano of New Jersey and his automobiles, primarily his Packards. Hemmings has written a very good article about the man and his passion for exotic automobiles, especially Packard. It is a good read and very informative. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Posted on: 2014/6/3 22:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Hemmings Classic Car
Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

randy berger wrote:
If you get a chance, pickup the July 2014 issue of Hemmings Classic Car.
There is a good article about Ralph Marano of New Jersey and his automobiles, primarily his Packards. Hemmings has written a very good article about the man and his passion for exotic automobiles, especially Packard. It is a good read and very informative. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Hello,

A quick comment here. Very nice profile on Mr. Marano... and well deserved. A great gentleman and incredible cars.

However, some captions regarding the Packards in this Hemmings Classic Car piece are quite a bit misleading...

? Page 60: Caption states ..."...open car, second from the left, is the Henney-bodied Pan American of 1952, with its disappearing convertible top..." Since there were six Pan Americans, there is no such thing as "the" Pan American... and the particular one shown here was one of the later ones made-not the original. And gotta grin since the last time this same car was featured in a car magazine, they swore it was the original Panther #1 and said it never had a top! Then got upset when I corrected them (I know... it does indeed have a top).

? Page 61: Caption states..."...Packard in the center is the Request concept car of 1955, the last such vehicle that Packard ever designed. To its right is one of four 1954 1/2 Panther design studies..." First, the Request was certainly NOT the last Packard concept car designed. It was followed by the Predictor....all designed in-house. A friend of mine was one of the people who constructed the original scale model of this car...at Packard on East Grand Blvd. in Detroit.

As for the 1954-1/2 Panthers there were only two... and they are both in this photo and both now owned by Mr. Marano. While there were a total of four Panthers, there were only two 1954-1/2 versions. No one would know this better than I-especially since I knew these cars since new. And I was the very first to accurately chronicle their history exactly thirty years ago. I did this for the Packard Club in their Spring, 1984 issue of The Packard Cormorant magazine.

Likewise, I knew the Request since it was first built and knew people who built it for Packard in Detroit. Other friends of mine restored it in the 1970's. (see attached photo of me with the Request back in the 1970's in Yakima, WA when it was first reassembled). I supplied some of the parts used in the original restoration.

Offered in the spirit of Packard automotive historical accuracy,

Attach file:

jpg  (71.63 KB)
1249_538f48c325733.jpg 1280X649 px

Posted on: 2014/6/4 11:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No surprise about the errors, unfortunately that publication suffers from very poor (or perhaps no) proofreading for accuracy and has for a long time - blatant errors and certainly not a magazine to rely on for facts though I enjoy some of the writers and the photography. The publication is a far cry from the excellent "Special Interest Autos" that it replaced.

Posted on: 2014/6/4 12:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Quote:
No surprise about the errors, unfortunately that publication suffers from very poor (or perhaps no) proofreading for accuracy and has for a long time - blatant errors and certainly not a magazine to rely on for facts though I enjoy some of the writers and the photography.

+1

Sad is the kindest thing I can say about the mess that is Hemming's "Editorial" material. Too easy to fit in the internet age of fact checking.

Posted on: 2014/6/4 15:16
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I get the Jennings motor news and there's nothing in there

Posted on: 2014/6/4 21:11
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
It's in Hemmings Classic Car

Posted on: 2014/6/5 7:02
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
No surprise about the errors, unfortunately that publication suffers from very poor (or perhaps no) proofreading for accuracy and has for a long time - blatant errors and certainly not a magazine to rely on for facts though I enjoy some of the writers and the photography. The publication is a far cry from the excellent "Special Interest Autos" that it replaced.

Yesss, agreed, Owen. But the errors (even the critiques) when involving Packard somehow tend to be so severe. Mystery.

My favorite was the pictorial write-up on a Packard that was supposedly specially prepared and sold to a celebrity owner via Earle C. Anthony dealership in California. So... they show this nice, shiny data plate for the car. And there... very proudly stamped into the metal plate of this special car, sold by a special dealer, to a special customer are the words: "Earl C. Anthony"... wow.

I can assure you that Mr. Anthony spelled his name "Earle" (with an "E" on the end) not "Earl" and no Packard for a special customer would have EVER been allowed to leave ECA, Inc. with the boss's name misspelled for all to see on the data plate. That one is hard to swallow. Even harder to understand is why the magazine bought into it. Harder still is the amazing thing that they didn't seem to like the correction. If it was a simple mistake made when repopping the data plate (and this is certainly possible-even if weird), then why proudly display a photo without even noticing the glaring error?

The car magazine biz today is an odd one... still a great one, but odd now. The magazines have one foot into the internet (which is a good thing in many ways) and the other into the auction world. And everybody running things is infallible. Unlike in years of old, they now proudly acknowledge info supplied by auction companies as if it is the pinnacle of accuracy.

This is what happened with the car hobby handed over the reins of being "historians" to auction companies... who continue to give us gems like the gray Packard Panther with the outrageously convoluted "history"...STILL amazed over that one and the magazines and internet "sources" that were only too eager to repeat the "history" of this car. Wow.

Posted on: 2014/6/5 9:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
This issue was a treat, my '60 Edsel and friend Bob's were the featured cars. The Packard article was a great bonus!

Posted on: 2014/6/5 23:39
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved