Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
84 user(s) are online (47 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 84

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

today was unique, good, bad and unusual....
Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Picked up my Pat this morning after seven weeks in purgatory.

New axle bearings and gear adjustment, new trans, new front chrome, new carb, front wheels packed and a couple of small bits fixed.

Runs wonderfully: peppy, shifts perfectly, no bearing whine, A/C is blasting.

Pick up 15 & 16 yr old granddaughters for an ice cream cone. Drive through steak and shake and sit in the car chillin with malts and such.

Car parked but running with air on.

Motor stops and will not restart.

Gas tank 3/8 full. After an hour of help, mechanic who worked on car says to add gas, even tho gauge has traditionally been accurate.

Granddaughter fetches the snow blower gas can and fills it with 93. Car starts immediately and proceeds as if everything was hunky dory.

Immediately filled tank, which took a bit over 11 gallons.

Went to evening car show and discussed problem.

Consensus is that the fuel line within the tank is rusted and that I probably need a new tank/intake bits.

Agree/disagree?

Posted on: 2014/6/7 21:51
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

Re: today was unique, good, bad and unusual....
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
If it's hot enough that you need the AC on, the first thing I would suspect is vapor lock.

Posted on: 2014/6/7 21:55
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have ruled out vapor lock and adding the gallon of gas did the trick then the line getting a pinhole at the very top is a known problem. It usually is where the line inside the tank attaches to the outside opening and bends before it starts the drop down to the tank bottom. At roughly half full or needing 11 gallons point is right about the spot where the very top is uncovered. If you made it to about 1/4 tank the top of the U is the other place.

Here is a photo of the tank inside that Ross posted some time back. I added arrows pointing to the two areas pinholes have been known to happen.

Attach file:

jpg  (76.00 KB)
209_5393d9c7c4de8.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/6/7 22:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
HH56 has directed you to what's not an uncommon problem, I could name half a dozen folks who have experienced exactly that. If your problem was enough rust in the tank to do that, you'd almost certainly see it in the filter bowl.

Posted on: 2014/6/7 22:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
It made perfect sense. Looks simple to fix but probably isn't. What are the choices?

Quote:
If it's hot enough that you need the AC on, the first thing I would suspect is vapor lock.

That was what I originally thought, though they've never been an issue. Car was definitely running warm. What spooked me bigtime was that I switched on the electric fan and the car died. Was it coincidence? Answer wasn't so clear at the time.

One other note: that kneeknocker really pumps out cool air!!!!

Posted on: 2014/6/7 23:37
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It made perfect sense. Looks simple to fix but probably isn't. What are the choices?

Not a simple fix because the tank is welded together. In order to fix the old tank you would need to take it to a place that could cut a large hole, replace the line, and then repair the large hole cut for the repair. The rest of the tank is probably not in that great a shape either. Last year that or finding a used tank was about the only option but thanks to Kanters repro tanks, now you would be much better off and probably out less to just get a repro tank.

Posted on: 2014/6/8 8:39
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
I suppose I'll order from Kanter. If you went by their alleged website you wouldn't feel they deserved thew time of day.

As far as I can see, the new tanks are raw steel; or is it galvanized or tinned? What--if anything--would you want it coated with? Or is it stainless in some form?

Do they add a modern intake setup so you don't have to hold the nozzle?

Posted on: 2014/6/8 15:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Kanter's tanks are made of terne plate, just like Packards and everyone elses of the era and up until plastic tanks became the norm and I wouldn't coat it with anything. We're fortunate to finally have these tanks available and take pity on the folks who have to have one of those baffled 3- or 6-compartment tanks made for earlier Packards, or for that matter, even to repair one.

Posted on: 2014/6/8 16:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
Looked up terne on the wiki and found that it was tin and lead, but is now zinc and tin. One puzzling item in the description.

Quote:
Terne is used to coat sheet steel to inhibit corrosion. It is one of the cheapest alloys suitable for this, and the tin content is kept at a minimum while still adhering to a hot-dipped iron sheet, to minimize the cost.[citation needed] Terne metal must be painted. If the paint is maintained, terne metal can last 90 years or more.

Any thoughts on the "must be painted" comment?

Posted on: 2014/6/9 5:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't think they had gas tanks in mind when they said "must be painted".

Posted on: 2014/6/9 8:08
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved