Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
146 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 145

JD in KC, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Safety Glass LOGO
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Up until last week i believed PACKARD never had a Safety Glass LOGO on their glass used in the '30s. A friend restoring a '35 Conv. has orig glass with a L O F Logo on its orig glass. NEVER SAY NEVER. I still believe '34 on down did not have any Logo - BUT I'VE BEEN WRONG BEFORE.

Lets here from u if u have seen a Logo or not on what.

LOGO Auto
1. Yes 35 Su8 Conv
2. No 34 8 Sed
3. No 40 180 Sed
4. No 35 12 Cp
5. No 32 8 Sed
6. Yes 40 120

Heres where u get ur LOGOs done today:
Vintage Glass Co.
328 S. River Rd.
Toland, Ct. 06084
800-889-3826 or 860-872-0018

Posted on: 2014/6/15 9:50
 Top  Print 

Re: Safety Glass LOGO
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packardbarry, I agree with you. My '34 Eight has all original glass except for the front door vent wing windows and it all laminate safety glass. None of the original glass has any logo or other identifying mark. Back in the days when there were so many pre-safety glass cars at shows, AACA routinely required safety glass (perhaps at least the windshield?) at their events and without a logo, the standard check was to hold a candle or small flame (from a cigarette lighter in days when we had them) close to the glass - if laminated safety plate you'd see a double image. I remember the days when, if you flunked this test you were turned away from the (AACA) event. VMCCA and CCCA may have had a similar requirement.

Posted on: 2014/6/15 11:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

patgreen
See User information
For those of us with younger cars...when did safety glass come in--and was it an instant success or slower acceptance?

PS
Had my windshield replaced last year and had the choice of a logo and/or shading at the top. Apparently adding a logo is considered routine....

Posted on: 2014/6/15 11:49
When two men ride the same horse, one has to be in the back...
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm sure either the Kimes-edited or Turnquist book would identify the first year for Packard, safety laminate came along in the late 20s, for windshield only at first, and gained very rapid, almost instantaneous acceptance and very quickly extended to all glass in the vehicle. Stutz, with their "Safety Stutz" theme had a so-called safety plate front windscreen a bit earlier but I believe it was of a different construction.

PS: Turnquist's book, page 40. In January 1928 the New York Automobile Show......Cadillac offered safety plate glass and Ford offered shatterproof glass as standard equipment. Safety glass was an English development.....

Posted on: 2014/6/15 12:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I have 5 pieces of glass for the '32 901 I'm restoring; 1) the windshield (less a small lower corner), 2) rear, 3) both rear passenger, and 4) rear door. The only one that I find that has any markings is the rear window with; Line 1 "Test ????", Line 2 "Safety Sheet" and Line 3 "as????? CNX". I could not read the last portion of line 1 - hence ????.

All of the glass is laminated and starting to separate. I would guess all of the original glass was unmarked and the the rear was replaced.

Posted on: 2014/6/15 13:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

1940-120
See User information
Hi guys

I just had all of my vent windows replaced with new safety glass, and yes they did have a LOF emblem on all of them interesting enough they are also dated.

My Packard is a1940-120.

If anybody has a great artwork for that logo I would appreciate a copy. I am looking for the setting material. I have seen it but cannot remember where, also I will probably need to check my previous request for that info. And also some advice from anybody having experience doing it.

I am also in need for the pins that fit into both of the chrome frames, the ones that have to be put in before the glass is set.

Right now I am prepping my running boards to send to Hunley Acuff.

Hope to start posting regularly on my blog.

Thank you everybody for the help on this great site.

Happy Father's Day

FredD

Posted on: 2014/6/15 14:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
LOF see Libbey-Owens-Ford Company. I wonder how hard it would be to etch glass with that logo.

Posted on: 2014/6/17 18:34
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Standard practice would be to create a wax stencil on the glass with the desired pattern and apply a paste containing hydrofluoric acid (HF) to etch the glass. I'm sure hobby kits are sold for this practice.

HF is a potentially dangerous substance, it can upset body metabolism of Calcium, and target various body organs. So if you decide to etch the logo read this and any other cautions you get the with product and follow the precautions scrupulously.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=hydrofluoric+acid+msds

Posted on: 2014/6/17 22:22
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
After reading everything about hydrofluoric acid I think I can live without a logo on my glass. That stuff is nasty! Sounds more like something the mob boss had in his backroom to silence opponents.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 7:34
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
I know KITS were available a few yrs back. I did a '33 Chy. Imp. As i remember u used a white cream but cant tell u what it was and im still alive to write about it. There is someone doing the LOGOs. Friend with 35 Su just had his done. Ill get the name, etc.

Posted on: 2014/6/18 7:53
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved