Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
159 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 158

CartRich, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: 21 and 22-23?? series hood bumpers.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

John Brinegar wrote:
To me - it looks like the 21 series point down and the 22 series point up because of the way the hood rests on the fender.

I really can't figure that one out. As was mentioned, I have both types and they are different from the wedge shape BDeB showed for the 22-23. I can't understand why both round part up and round part down would be on the same car unless one was changed. Am making the molds now. I had planned on just making the one pointing up but now having second thoughts again and may go ahead and make a mold for the other.

Posted on: 2014/7/2 15:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lauren R Lampi
See User information
I was able to purchase the "hood bumpers" for my 47 Custom Super from a parts dealer. I can't remember if it was Steele or Max Merritt. I was able to get all the round, flat bumpers and the Cowl bumpers also. About three years ago.

Lauren R Lampi
Grand Rapids, MN

Summer is here.....Finally 80 out today.
Waiting for a gasket for the oil pump..............

Posted on: 2014/7/6 10:45
Lauren R Lampi
Grand Rapids, Minn.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Lauren R Lampi wrote:
I was able to purchase the "hood bumpers" for my 47 Custom Super from a parts dealer. I can't remember if it was Steele or Max Merritt. I was able to get all the round, flat bumpers and the Cowl bumpers also. About three years ago.

Lauren R Lampi
Grand Rapids, MN

Summer is here.....Finally 80 out today
Waiting for a gasket for the oil pump..............

The round bumpers are not a problem at all. These I'm making are sort of unique. On the 47 there is one on each side about midway down the hood -- a flat piece with a steel core held with two screws. Item is about 1 1/2 inches square with one side rounded for the cushion part.

I 'd trade you the temp and maybe even a little of the rain from your area -- but will pass on the humidity. It was 107 here yesterday but today we're supposed to have a cool down to 105. It's a little after 10AM and currently 87.

Posted on: 2014/7/6 12:20
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lauren R Lampi
See User information
Yes. I bought the one that you are referring to:
The one the goes in the center of the hood opening.
About an inch and a half square, the Round edge that
goes to the "outside", Two holes that the bolts go through
to attach it to the side of the engine compartment opening.

I got all the "rubber bumpers" from either Steele rubber products or Max Merritt. The "Square one with the round
edge that goes in the middle of each side, the round ones
that that you "pull through the small hole" about 4 on each side. and the bumpers that go on the cowl that look like small "gum drops" .

I purchased them about 3 years ago when I was acquiring the parts for the 47 custom super clipper.

Lauren R Lampi
Grand Rapids, MN

Posted on: 2014/7/6 15:29
Lauren R Lampi
Grand Rapids, Minn.
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Lauren R Lampi
See User information
Okay. I looked on the Max Merritt web site Packard supplies. Look under Clipper. Look under Bonnet ( Hood)
On the first page you will find all the hood bumper parts.
I looked up in my Packard Clipper Master Parts Book. I looked under bonnet / bumper / pivot.
The part number that you are looking for is 372164.
That is the part that Max Merritt uses in their parts list.
they have them listed at 15.00 each.
Hope this helps you out.

Lauren R Lampi
Grand Rapids,MN

Garage day today. Should get the gasket for the oil pump.
Get the 47 Custom on the road..................

Posted on: 2014/7/7 9:41
Lauren R Lampi
Grand Rapids, Minn.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks, I did find them yesterday and now know there is a backup if plan A doesn't work. I have already made the molds and formed the metal core. Since I have to make a couple of special grommets anyway for my AC tubing there will be plenty of "free" material left over after those are made. Will pour the bumpers at the same time and see if they are passable.

Posted on: 2014/7/7 10:06
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Here is a hood bumper off my 48 Deluxe

Attach file:

jpg  (61.70 KB)
4958_53bd6f5c130e6.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (69.71 KB)
4958_53bd6f81b939e.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (53.80 KB)
4958_53bd6fa51b253.jpg 1280X853 px

jpg  (63.17 KB)
4958_53bd6fcca4868.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2014/7/9 11:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks. That does appear to be the "wedge" shape BDeB mentioned in an earlier post as being correct for 22nd series.

It appears 21st series had a round profile -- at least that is what I figure from what was left of mine. The one thing I still can't understand is why the round portion apparently went both directions. There is only one location per side on the 21st series and if it works as described, seems it would want the one with the rounded end the same side as the screw heads -- the bottom piece in the photo.

Here is a profile of what I have. The recessed holes for the screw heads on both pieces is on the right hand side of the photo away from the box the pieces are resting against. As you see, one rounded portion is on the same side as the screw heads and the other piece is opposite.

Since I've gone this far, won't order Max's pieces unless my casting doesn't work out but would appreciate knowing if mine resemble the repro and which direction for the rounded portion is correct.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.02 KB)
209_53bd784a7b04c.jpg 307X686 px

Posted on: 2014/7/9 12:14
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
The standard one up one down answer: It was assembled on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon...

Posted on: 2014/7/10 13:21
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Fish'n Jim wrote:
The standard one up one down answer: It was assembled on a Monday morning or Friday afternoon...

That is the most logical answer yet.

The first company I worked for built equipment like that. All the tolerances were +/-xxx and parts were built in batches. The Monday morning guys were hung over so not paying attention and the guys on Friday wanted out of there and didn't pay attention The interesting part was when two of those pieces had to fit together and you would get out in the field where the plus side had to fit into the minus side. Hardly ever was lucky enough to get something the other way around.

Of course, I was never anything but bright eyed on Mondays and eager to work till 5 on Fridays

Posted on: 2014/7/10 13:36
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved