Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

instrument cluster removal ?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ammiller83
See User information
I have a 1952 Packard 200. I am trying to remove the instrument cluster the two top screw spins in place. What do i do to get them out?

Posted on: 2014/3/31 12:01
 Top  Print 

Re: instrument cluster removal ?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Which top screws are you referring to? The ones that I struggled with were those along the bottom edge of the windshield, I got under the head with a screwdriver to lift it while turning on a couple and on two I had to get them loose from underneath with a vice-grip plier. That was made easier by removing the heater plenum first.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 12:06
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Whoops, I re-read your post and now I realize you're talking about the 2 screws above the gauges. You may have to figure out a way to get behind them to provide a little outward pressure to get them to bite. Do they come out even a little?

Posted on: 2014/3/31 12:10
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ammiller83
See User information
I have tried that. It didn't work.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 12:30
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It appears from the parts manual they use speednuts on those top screws. Assuming they were not replaced with regular nuts (which you should be able to tell using a mirror) then possibly the flat type speednut was used and there is nothing but a flat piece of metal on top of the dash flange holding the screw. That type will be a bear to hold. Packard used those in some places and were originally held by a piece of masking tape during assy. Another possibility is the clip type was used but clip is now broken (unlikely) or installed incorrectly so the lip that is supposed to clamp the nut to the flange to keep it in position and unable to spin is on top and can't do anything.

Either way you will have to get an extension type inspection mirror to see what you are working with and determine how to hold it. It won't be a particularly fun job. As was mentioned, the nuts on the bottom two studs are usually the ones people curse -- not the top two.

Posted on: 2014/3/31 12:43
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day ammiller83,
to PackardInfo, but sorry I can't help with your request.

However, I invite you to include your '52 200 in the Packard Owner's Registry here on PackardInfo

Posted on: 2014/3/31 13:35
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

WILLIS BIRKS
See User information
I will be trying to get those two bottom nuts off on my 54 Clipper. Anyone have a suggestion on what works best to get the nuts loose? Tool used or trick???

Posted on: 2014/3/31 19:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I'm still recovering from removing and replacing the headlight switch.

I plan someday to remove the inst. cluster from my 54 Cavalier to work over the clock. There is a fuse I can't get enough hands at to relace without removing the cluster.

Also be aware the wiring can be stiff and brittle, case in point was the little wire that goes up the steering column to the shift indicator lamp which is a total PITA to replace.

First time I have been able to log on to this site in over a week BTW.

Jim

Posted on: 2014/4/1 10:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I looked at my dashboard tonight, the top screws on my instrument cluster went into tinnermans (clip or speed nuts), the little sheet metal nuts that clip over the hole. If yours are still in place then either someone replaced the screws with too small screws, or the clip nuts are broken and spinning.

You might try to reach up there from under the dash to try to hold them while someone else tries the screws, you'll have to work through all the wires etc though.

Posted on: 2014/4/1 21:37
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ammiller83
See User information
The clip that is holding the screw just turns in place. The clip doesn't move.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 20:41
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved