Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 89

dick29, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: instrument cluster removal ?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

ammiller83 wrote:
The clip that is holding the screw just turns in place. The clip doesn't move.

Am assuming you have the flat type that does not slip over the edge of dash opening to hold. It appears Packard frequently held those flat clips in position with masking tape or if it was accessible when they assembled the part, maybe just held it in position.

Possibly you could clean the dust off the ledge where the clips are and place a piece of tape with a strong adhesive -- something like gorilla tape -- over the clip to hold it while you remove the screw. I more expect you will need to figure a way to reach up and hold the clip with your fingers and maybe have someone else turn the screwdriver.

Attach file:

jpg  (4.58 KB)
209_53daf372d121c.jpg 100X47 px

Posted on: 2014/7/31 20:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Either the threads on the screw are rusted or stripped out and no grab on the clip, or the clip is spinning. I had 2 screws where I had to reach up from underneath and wedge things with a small vise grip ( I used a small needle-nosed version) to get them out. Be sure to swear, that often seems to help.

Posted on: 2014/7/31 22:56
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

ammiller83
See User information
I went under the dash and the clip doesn't move when I turn the screw. I can feel the screw move.

Posted on: 2014/8/2 12:56
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Sounds like threads stop and there is nothing but smooth metal just below the head. With the screwdriver pushing the screw up, the speednut tang is in that smooth section and the threads can't grab anything to start unscrewing

You might try unscrewing again, this time using as little as possible upward pressure on the screwdriver and use something like a putty knife on top to push down on the point of the screw at the same time. Possibly you can push the screw down enough so the threads can bite and start coming out.

Posted on: 2014/8/2 13:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
When you work on the dash, be sure to disconnect the battery. The old wiring can easily short out while you are moving things around and cause damage. Also, if you reach up under the dash, remove the speedometer cable before you try to move the instrument cluster forward. I usually use a plastic pry bar under the top of the cluster to get it to swing forward and down.

Posted on: 2014/8/2 13:59
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved