Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
121 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 121

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Interest in a current best science cam profile for the V8?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
packard1984 Quote:
I would think that a profile for a Pontiac or Buick would wok well with a Packard the breathing limitations and RPM limits of the design match well.

In 1957 Pontiac's V-8 was 347CID and in 1958 it was 370CID, obviously very close to Packard's 352CID and 374CID of 1955/1956. The heads were also very similar.

Pontiac's performance camshaft of that era was the Isky E-2 which was a mechanical flat tappet design with the following specs:

Int/Exh duration: 270deg (IVO 27BTDC, IVC 63ABDC, EVO 59BBDC, EVC 31ATDC)) advertised; 210deg at 0.050in tappet lift, gross valve lift 0.424In minus 0.020In valve lash (0.0404In net), 108deg ICL, 104deg ECL with 106deg lobe separation.

Packard's rocker arm ratio is 1.6:1, greater than Pontiac's 1.5:1, so the gross/net valve lift on a Packard would have been 0.453In/0.431In instead.

This was a pretty mild camshaft by today's standards, but was a "hot one" back in the day. I believe that one could get one of these cams and the requisite adjustable pushrods for a Packard V-8 from Isky back then too.

Craig

Posted on: 2014/9/4 14:58
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
I believe that one could get one of these cams and the requisite adjustable pushrods for a Packard V-8 from Isky back then too.

For experiencing ultimate valve adjustment agony, one should try setting the valves on a '56 Studebaker Golden Hawk equipped with adjustable pushrods.

The pushrods require three hands to hold the wrenches (pushrod body, adjuster nut, lock nut) and a fourth hand to hold the feeler gauge. Problem is, on the rear four cylinders, there's not room for two people to work under the corner of the low Stude Hawk hood.

FWIW, I've got a couple of the Isky cam, lifter, pushrod and valve spring kits for the Packard V8. Few are man enough to run them these days.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/9/12 12:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
"FWIW, I've got a couple of the Isky cam, lifter, pushrod and valve spring kits for the Packard V8. Few are man enough to run them these days.

jack vines"

Well now I hafta have a set. :) PM sent

Posted on: 2014/9/12 12:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
In the 1979 Iskenderian catalog, the complete kit; cam, lifters, springs, pushrods and retainers, was $446. In constant dollars, that equates to $1,463.63 today.

However, that cost assumes anyone/everyone could buy as many as wanted at the catalog price. Trying to value the maybe only remaining Packard V8 kit is difficult.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/9/13 9:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Anthony Pallett
See User information
To get an adjustable valve train you may want to look at a modern shaft mounted rocker kit, possibly a small block Mopar or FE ford. If the detentions look close one may be able to trim this adjust that to make it work. You would have catalog replacement parts, slightly less friction in the engine so more power, and possibly more rocker arm ratio translating into more valve lift, plus the adjustability you are looking for.

Posted on: 2014/9/14 3:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
To get an adjustable valve train you may want to look at a modern shaft mounted rocker kit, possibly a small block Mopar or FE ford. If the detentions look close one may be able to trim this adjust that to make it work. You would have catalog replacement parts, slightly less friction in the engine so more power, and possibly more rocker arm ratio translating into more valve lift, plus the adjustability you are looking for.

The 'detentions' aren't close. If it were that easy, we'd have done it fifty years ago instead of the hassle of adjustable pushrods. The two engines you mention, shaft diameters, rocker lengths, pushrod ends and cam/valve angles are all different. The Ford FE is closest, but still a major hassle to make work on the Packard. BTDTNA.

At great difficulty and expense, I did convert the Ford Super Duty big truck 540" engine adjustable rockers to fit the Packard V8. It requires custom shaft bushings, custom rocker stands and a custom taller rocker cover. That, plus the SD rockers are NLA.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/9/14 12:18
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved