Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
182 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 182

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1947 2106 Gasoline and Oil Recommendations
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Michael Sullivan
See User information
Please provide information/suggestions on gasoline to be used. Octane, additives, ethanol, etc. Currently running a tank of 89 octane with Seabreeze added and very slow to start. Additionally, need to change the oil and would appreciate any thoughts on brand, viscosity, additives, etc. Thanks very much, Mike in Baltimore.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 6:33
 Top  Print 

Re: 1947 2106 Gasoline and Oil Recommendations
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I think Sea Breeze is the aftershave my father used. I use Shell Rotella 15w-40 in my 356's. I don't drive my Packards in sub-freezing weather so the heavier oil doesn't present a problem. There are as many opinions on the best oil to use as there are oils available. I also use gasoline that doesn't have added alcohol but I have to drive 5 miles to get it. I don't use additives at all.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 7:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JD gives good advice. Your car has hydraulic lifters so use of a detergent oil is a must. Single viscosity detergent oils are pretty much going out of use and a quality brand multi-viscosity oil is the better choice, for example 10W-30 is a good choice for year-round use with an engine in good, non-worn condition. If the engine has high mileage and/or will only be used in warmer weather the SAE15-40 oils are excellent and used by many older car owners. Stick with major brands.

Your engine is low compression by today's standards and any gasoline over 87 octane (regular) offers no real benefit and thus octane boosters are just trashing our money. As JD says, if it's available in your area use the ethanol-free gasoline. If not, assuming the fuel system has been updated within the last 20 years or so it should be compatible with the modern 10% ethanol gasoline which despite a general dislike for it within the hobby really presents no problems to the vast majority of old car owners, a possible exception being it is more prone to vapor locking in extreme temperatures or stressful situations like stop-and-go traffic for prolonged periods on hot days.

Forget about snake oils and additives, especially for motor oils.

Posted on: 2014/9/26 8:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Ok, I will probably sound ignorant/uneducated... But just a couple of things that I have thought/understood along the way...

In researching what oil to use in my 23rd series, one of the factory manuals/info cited 50 weight. ...not taking the multi/winter weight into account, I would have thought that sticking to that 50 weight would be the best move as that heavier weight had the engine's larger tollerances in mind, compared to more modern-day tighter tolerances. Also, the camshaft as it's lobes receive their lubrication from leakdown of the lifters, don't they? I would think that the heavier weight oil wouldn't "flow off" as easily.

I know that O-D stated using a detergent oil, I have always seen that stated as long as that has been used in the engine most of it's life. ...because switching to a detergent oil after years of non-detergent may loosen up and circulate sludge that would otherwise remain in place in the engine.

Like I said, I was going to stick to a 10w or 20w/50 weight detergent in my newly rebuilt 327cu. I won't even get into the zinc discussion.

I'm just asking, not questioning anyone's knowledge.

Thanks,

Mark

Posted on: 2014/9/26 13:33
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I think 20W-50 would be a very bad choice for a freshly rebuilt engine, even if you were living in Central America. Yes, the higher viscosity provides more of a "cushion" which in a freshly rebuilt engine you really don't need, but it comes at a trade-off in flow which means slower times for fresh oil to reach critical areas, and consequent heat removal. Use a good quality brand multi-vis and select a type whose higher viscosity# matches what your Packard owner's manual suggested for temperatures you expect to encounter. And a freshly rebuilt engine should especially have an oil on the light side and be changed after perhaps 100 miles, and again after perhaps 500.

There was a really excellent article recently referenced on this forum about choices in motor oil which I recommend highly, link below. The writer is a Corvair owner so just read around that part of it. Especially read the section towards the end as I recall, about how important viscosity selection is, and also about engine damage that can result from excess ZDDP and other additives.

http://www.widman.biz/uploads/Corvair_oil.pdf

Posted on: 2014/9/26 14:46
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved