Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 120

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Factory Correct
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Sam Sargent
See User information
Tomorrow my 2362 series goes to the paint shop and I'm looking to verify a couple "factory correct" points:
1. Were the door latches and striker plates mounted and painted with the car?
2. Other than the screws in the hinge post metal core weather strip, were there any other screws or parts not painted with the body? (door hinges, bolt on top of firewall, etc..)
3. Flocking in trunk - correct for 1950? - Entire inside of trunk (including bottom and wheel welds?
4. Any other point that are sometimes restored or painted incorrectly for 1950 23rd series???

Thanks,
- Sam

Attach file:

jpg  (70.12 KB)
3861_538b56b757eea.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/6/1 11:38
1950 Eight Deluxe -2362-
Registry
 Top  Print   

Re: Factory Correct
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Sam Sargent
See User information
I've seen pictures with unpainted and painted striker plates in 23rd series Eights. Any input on which way the factory went?

Thanks for any input!

Posted on: 2014/6/3 12:53
1950 Eight Deluxe -2362-
Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
The door hinges, latches and strikers were painted through '50. '51-56 strikers were unpainted. The bottom of the trunk floor was not purposely flocked, just overspray as it had a textured cardboard mat.

Posted on: 2014/6/3 12:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Factory replacement striker plates came from the parts department unpainted. They could not possibly have stocked all the colors. With that said an unpainted striker isn't absolutely wrong.

Posted on: 2014/6/3 15:08
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Sam Sargent
See User information
Didn't hear any thoughts on my "Flocking" question and haven't had any research luck so;

Was flocking used in 23rd series?

I found some fibers that looked like Flocking when I removed the hinges so I'm thing it could be. If so, which areas of the trunk had it?

Thanks!

Attach file:

jpg  (34.69 KB)
3861_5432d7098cb11.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/10/6 12:53
1950 Eight Deluxe -2362-
Registry
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard didn't seem to spend a lot of money in the trunk but I believe flocking was used on all cars from about the late 30s thru 54 & think yours is probably similar to the 21st series.

On that series the wheel wells and the raised portion of trunk floor over the rear axle to just behind the spare tire well was flocked. It seems to have stopped at the junction of wheel well to vertical inner body panel and at the floor/wheel well junction. To be honest, am not totally sure on the lower about 6" vertical portion with holes between wheel well and the seam to the next vertical or roof piece. One side of mine is rough like it might have been flocked and other side is smooth. I may go ahead and finish the sides just to make it look complete. I did this several months ago. It is somewhat lighter because of dust but the flash makes it look worse. In regular light is is quite dark and brown. if I were going to do it again, might throw in a bit of tan or gray. No sign of any flocking near the hinges though. On mine all that area under package shelf including the vertical inner panels wrapping around the sides was either primer or maybe semi gloss dark paint.

Color of the flocking seems to be a big question. Some have said gray, others tannish brown, others say a combination of gray and brown with a small amount of black and tan fibers thrown in. Maybe they had different colors for different models. One thing is sure and that is todays readily available fibers seem to be quite a bit finer than the original. I used straight feather brown nylon fiber but am reasonably sure it is a bit darker brown compared to the original. A blend might look better but this does look decent and I wouldn't be ashamed to show it. It will get dirty in short order and will be mostly covered with carpet so perfect color was not a major concern.

On Customs several have said the entire sides and floor were also carpeted. JW posted a picture of his original 47 trunk which had nicely fitted carpet all over. On the lesser models I believe those just had the flock and a thin floormat which some have described as coarse like hogshair.

Attach file:

jpg  (90.00 KB)
209_5432f342a5c6a.jpg 1280X790 px

Posted on: 2014/10/6 14:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Sam Sargent
See User information
Great info Howard - Many thanks!

Posted on: 2014/10/6 15:17
1950 Eight Deluxe -2362-
Registry
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Sam Sargent
See User information
Hi all - I've got another question on "factory correct" I can't find in the blog history.

- What's the correct color of the parcel shelf in 2362 cloth interior? Is it the same color as the headliner, lower darker solid color material or seat material - or something else?

- What's typically been done in other restorations? - painted board material, or board covered with fabric?

Thanks as always...

Posted on: 2014/10/27 10:44
1950 Eight Deluxe -2362-
Registry
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I agree with Ross.

Attached is a picture of an original. It may look like crap, but that's the way they did it. However, zinc plating them is not an objectionable update the same way as painting radiator shells on early prewar cars which is an irreversible abomination. Pass the barf bag please.

Attach file:

jpg  (25.44 KB)
373_544eaa60ca801.jpg 600X450 px

Posted on: 2014/10/27 15:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved