Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 112

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Step By Steps to restore?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
I wouldn't recommend to pull the front clip until you see if it runs. It's not that difficult to work on the 8, if I could do it. If you jump into a pile of parts, and it doesn't run, what are you prepared to do?
Also, need a space and means to catalogue, store, and protect those parts. The car serves that function assembled.

Posted on: 2015/1/12 10:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And don't forget the electrical. If the overall wiring is as hard and brittle as most have been found, if you decide to remove the fender try not to excessively move and flex the length of loom that has to disconnect from fender terminal block and move out of the way. A lot of movement can affect that entire section where loom exits the firewall and splits in different directions. It could cause all kinds of unseen damage as the old insulation cracks and splits but stays hidden under the outer wrap.

Posted on: 2015/1/12 11:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
I'd leave that bad boy just like it is. clean it up good like you have been and get it mechanically sound and just enjoy it. preservation class for sure!

Posted on: 2015/1/12 11:26
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
I second HH56 comments about the electrical. The 65 yr old wiring is a problem. Be very careful behind the dashboard! I have my '49 running after looking for electrical shorts for 2 weeks. Got the lights, horn and other electrical all working, but I will need to install a new wiring harness.

Now it licensed and I drive to the local car show (donuts and coffee also) on some Saturday mornings. Get lots of looks and questions. May not be the prettiest girl at the ball with a bit of rust and peeling paint, but many come by and say "My Dad (Or Grand dad) had a Packard, I could just barely see over the front seat".

Enjoy, you have a great start.

Posted on: 2015/1/12 13:26
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
I had similar issues about 4 years ago when I bought my 1950 Deluxe 8. I wanted a Packard in nice driving condition that I could have weekend fun with. I got a pretty original car that was rust free, but it needed everything. That was my fault because I got a false description and misleading photos and I never physically checked out the car. I have been repairing and restoring it bit by bit as I drove the car, and that kept it from becoming a "pile of parts." However it is very inefficient to do that. For example I had to rewire the car. I replaced the headliner before I realized it needed rewiring, so that prevented me from rewiring the wiring under the headliner. There are many other examples.
The problem was that I never expected to spend over $40,000 restoring the car, but it ended up that way. If I had a clear goal and budget in mind I would have bought a restored car. That would have been cheaper and I would not be so horribly underwater.
My advice is to make the car run reliably, shine it up, and drive it. If you want a restored car, sell the one you have and buy a restored car. It is cheaper and faster to do that.

Posted on: 2015/1/15 0:34
Fred Puhn
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved