Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 136

kevinpackard, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Highway Patrol
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rblum
See User information
I'm an early riser and traditionally tune in to the TV news first thing in the morning but got side tracked shortly before the holidays. On Comcast channel 206 (Baltimore market) at 5:00 AM Eastern time, THISTV has a showing of the old 50's classic "Highway Patrol" with Broderick Crawford. There is usually a 5:30 showing too but some days they will move straight to a movie. It is a fantastic glimpse into the Southern California of the middle and late 50's and old car fans are treated to the cars of the day. I've spotted two Packards. One looked like a 55 Clipper Constellation that was parked and the other looked like a 55 Packard 4 door that was cruising down the highway at speed. The Highway Patrol of the show uses lots of 55 Buick Centurys and you will see some Oldsmobiles too. In the late 50's episodes you are treated to the MOPARS.

The show is typical 50's shlock but entertaining and I love it! Sometimes you can spot actors that became famous years later making their bones in this venue. Lots of great location shots that I'm sure are unrecognizable now. Maybe Leeedy can add some historical background and flavor to the locations used in the show?

Posted on: 2015/2/8 20:35
 Top  Print 

Re: Highway Patrol
Just popping in
Just popping in

DwainG
See User information
Love that show! I usually record it every day. I do remember seeing the '55 Clipper, and a few '52-'53 Packards, and early '50s Studes. I really enjoy trying to find the locations on Google Streets. Once in awhile I can identify some buildings that are still pretty much as they were 60 years ago.

Posted on: 2015/2/8 23:46
 Top  Print 

Re: Highway Patrol
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
I'll always remember how Crawford would spin the wheels of the old Buicks on the gravel shoulder and when the wheels hit the pavement they would chirp. Probably the only way to "burn rubber" with the Dynaflow transmission.

Posted on: 2015/2/9 12:56

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved