Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 151

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

AC parts list
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Just curious if anyone has ever seen a prewar publication entitled "Packard Service Parts List, Air Conditioning Systems". March 40 Service letter says it was sent to all dealers in early 1940.

I am mostly curious about an illustration in the 46 Clipper accessory catalog showing a knob for what I think might have been a prewar Clipper AC control. One question would be why it would have been in a 46 publication and the other question would be if it was ever a real item or just a figment of someones imagination. The parts list might answer both questions.

Attach file:

jpg  (50.49 KB)
209_54da40557472e.jpg 702X461 px

Posted on: 2015/2/10 12:31
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: AC parts list
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Howard,
Is the 1940 service letter in Jim Hollingsworth book?

Posted on: 2015/2/10 12:41
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

Let the ride decide wrote:
Howard,
Is the 1940 service letter in Jim Hollingsworth book?

Good question. I don't have that book.

Posted on: 2015/2/10 12:44
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I believe that the dash control marked Cooling may have been for the optional fresh air intake that is also listed in the accessories catalog.
The catalog description says that the air intake was operated by a dash mounted lever.

Posted on: 2015/2/10 14:59
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Maybe a possibility. I do have a fresh air control off a prewar and that one is labeled FRESH AIR. Parts manual says that as well as all the other Clipper knobs carried thru the 21st series so I kind of ruled that out.

No mention of anything labeled COOLING in the 41-7 Clipper parts book which is why I thought if it is a real item it might have been mentioned in that prewar AC parts list.

Posted on: 2015/2/10 15:13
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
That is a real item, I have one in my trophy case if anyone needs it. I got it from Jim Hollingsworth who identified it as a '42 only air conditioning item.

Probably just a fiction of '46 product planners desires.

Posted on: 2015/2/10 15:20
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Darrin180
See User information
The cooling switch part number 371435 is used on all 1941 and 1942 Clippers, when equipped with A/C, per "Packard Service Parts List for Air Conditioning Systems" dated September,1941.

Posted on: 2015/2/11 1:33
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks flackmaster and Darrin180 for taking the time to confirm the knob (and the AC parts list) are both real.

Posted on: 2015/2/11 10:15
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Started the process of making new knobs and adapting a switch for my Clipper AC. Found a 4 position modern push/pull switch that could work the multi wire modern blower motor. Made a new longer length shaft so it could attach to the Clipper dash knob, machined a smaller retainer nut to fit in the casting and added a separate power circuit for the comp clutch. Those were fairly easy changes. Will do the same lengthening of the shaft with another switch for the heater/defroster combo. No need for another circuit there -- one terminal to the defroster and a resistor across the other two for 2 speeds on the heater.

Made a silicone mold and cast a trial knob out of plastic. It was fairly thick viscosity material but with enough sprues the thin sections didn't do as horribly as I envisioned for just being a gravity fill. Next step is redoing the plastic knob and trying for some imprinted lettering. Am thinking rubber type set into the silicone will imprint into the plastic. Haven't found a readily available rubber typeface I like yet because Packard fonts are just enough different. Probably wind up using what I have which is a tad narrower. Anyway, if that knob plan works out will make a sand mold using it for a pattern and some fine grain sand. If not, I guess it will be a smooth knob with dry transfer type lettering.

Haven't done any metal casting since the 80s and that I do not expect to go as smoothly. Fine detail and shrinkage may be an issue. Also don't have any means of forcing the metal to flow before it cools. Maybe a bit thicker sides on the knob and superheating the sand mold will give the metal time to fill before solidifying. We shall see.

Attach file:

jpg  (51.28 KB)
209_54ee0f5b35606.jpg 767X666 px

jpg  (34.84 KB)
209_54ee0f64d130f.jpg 775X334 px

Posted on: 2015/2/25 13:16
Howard
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Looking good. Also you may take a look at places online that will 3D Print plastic parts extremely cheap. You upload the drawing file to them and they print it out and ship you the part.

Posted on: 2015/2/26 12:59
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved