Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (83 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 123

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Being Well Grounded
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dan White
See User information
There have been several notes about grounding. I have noticed that I am seeing small braided wires, all of which have been either cut or broken.
Can anyone tell me where I shoud have grounding wires? This is on a 1956 Executive.
Thanks,
Dan

Posted on: 2007/7/5 8:51
Proudly owned by Princess Pricilla Packard!
 Top  Print   

Re: Being Well Grounded
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
The negative post of the battery should connect to the cylinder head.
There is a ground wire that runs from the rear right cylinder head to the firewall. This is the body ground strap. Be sure that the connexions are CLEAN, BRITE SHineING METAL and i like to use internal/external tooth washers.

As far as i know there is NO frame to engine ground strap used on the 56 Packards.

Posted on: 2007/7/5 21:16
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Dan White
See User information
Thanks. But shouldn't there be a frame to engine ground? Also, I found a small woven ground strap that was broken but attached to the firewall near the groment for the transmission wires. It was about one forth of an inch wide. I am not an electricion, but I would assume that poor grounding can be the cause of all kinds of problems in these old cars.
Any thoughts on this?
Dan

Posted on: 2007/7/6 7:33
Proudly owned by Princess Pricilla Packard!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Dan,

My experience on my 56 Carib matches the comments of Packard V8. I have attached a picture of the strap from the back of the cylinder head to the firewall and the only other ground is the front of the opposite cylinder head to the negative battery post.

Robert.

Attach file:

jpg  (39.65 KB)
251_468e43c825468.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2007/7/6 8:29
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Adding a frame-to-engine ground somewhere unobtrusive might be a good idea but really isn't generally needed because of two reasons: (1) there are MANY points of metal-to-metal attachment of car bodies to frames (for example, all the body mounting bolts), and (2) very few cars (our TL equipped V8 Packards the exception) have any electrical components that are frame-mounted. One the other hand the engine-to-body ground strap is important because once batteries moved out from under the front seat, they were generally grounded to the engine block and the driveline, being mounted in rubber mounts and further isolated by lubricants and moving connections, can easily lack a good ground. Another place to consider adding a ground is the gas tank; in restoration often the frame is heavily painted as is the tank, which itself is often isolated with webbing in the straps or retainers. If the fuel line (which is the tank ground) is interrupted for an in-line electric pump installed with rubber tubing connections, then this ground is lost. In such cases I usually install a ground from one of the fuel sender capscrews to a convenient frame rail.

Posted on: 2007/7/6 8:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Come to think of it, i think i will install a frame to engine ground strap just for kicks. Most cars i've seen with such straps are usualy unibody construction. But i have seen them on ladder frame type vehicles too. The body mounting bolts are not reliable due to rubber insulators and potenetial rust.
It is MOST PRUDENT to always use internal or external tooth (shakeproof) washers on ground wires as well as other electrical connexions.

Posted on: 2007/7/6 23:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
On cars with hanging brake pedals the Frame is grounded to body thru the brakes lines.

Posted on: 2007/7/6 23:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved