Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
101 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 101

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Gravel Shield Anti-Squeak Mute...what the heck is it?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
1941 Packard 110...ordered all new rubber from Steele and found this at the bottom of the box after putting most of the car back together.

Seems to fit perfectly on the rear bumper attachment brackets but where exactly does it fit and what is the purpose?

Attach file:

jpg  (13.09 KB)
17746_5524c94dbd3f8.jpg 600X600 px

Posted on: 2015/4/8 1:22
 Top  Print   

Re: Gravel Shield Anti-Squeak Mute...what the heck is it?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Darrin180
See User information
They area anti rattle snubbers that are used on the front stone shields. They fit on the outer bumper brackets one to a side........

Posted on: 2015/4/8 1:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
So do they go on the front bumper or rear? Where exactly do they fit?

Thank you!

Posted on: 2015/4/9 23:21
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Darrin180
See User information
They are for the front Shield that fits between the bumper and the front sheet metal. They slide over the outer bumper bracket and put tension on the bottom of the shield to prevent squeaks..............

Posted on: 2015/4/12 1:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ragtime Kid
See User information
Interesting. I don't have any "shield" on the front bumper...it's just open where the steel leaf springs connect the bumper to the body.

On the REAR bumper, I have a painted "valence" sitting over the same steel springs connecting the bumper.

Could it be that my car originally had a similar valence on the front bumper that is missing?

Posted on: 2015/4/13 12:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I've always seen the rear splash pan. I've seen more cars without a front one than with. A front pan would cause issues with mounting a front license holder and complicates auxiliary lights. Someone smarter than I will chime in on whether it was standard.

Posted on: 2015/4/13 15:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't know what was standard or optional equipment, maybe Roger Detroit will have the answer. But my observations over the years with many of these cars agrees with bkazmer's comment; I've almost never seen one without the rear gravel pan, and only very, very rarely see one with the front pan.

Posted on: 2015/4/13 17:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
the front gravel shield started in very late 41 and standard on the 42 none clipper cars. dell

Posted on: 2015/4/13 20:05

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Darrin180
See User information
According to Packard Service Letter Vol.15 No.7 dated April 1,1941 all nineteenth Series cars have a front stone shield as std. equipment. The license bracket was also modified to clear the shield. All owners of cars produced prior to the shield becoming std. equipment can purchase a kit(price $3.75) for dealer installation.......

Posted on: 2015/4/14 1:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
And the front shield is available as reproduced by renown Packard restorer Garry Osko of Corona, CA.

And for the Hmmmm....thoughtful file, would it be "correct" for an early '41 to have the front shields? Or for judging purposes for a car that is "missing " the shields? I ask as happy hour debate for the owner of 1475-2001 who is a PITA stickler for the car being "as the factory delivered it". Yeah, that same PITA who waited for something like 4 years to have the pinstripe fabric woven to the original sample...

Posted on: 2015/4/14 8:24
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved