Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
119 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 115

BigKev, 37Blanche, kevinpackard, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: 55 Patrician
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

davegnh
See User information
Finally getting started on the brakes that I put off all winter, much to cold here to get anything done. I will be replacing all the wheel cylinders and all new lines. I need to crawl under and see how the front line is routed under the motor, I think that may be the most difficult one to replace, and the short ones from the master going to the front block might also be tricky--there just isn't much room. I removed the vent hose and the battery and I think I can get in there. I am looking forward to getting this on the road, I have driven many old cars but never a 55 with torsion suspension, it should be fun. So far I have 2 wheel cylinders replaced--

Posted on: 2015/4/22 8:12
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

davegnh
See User information
Still working on the brakes, I am on the left rear wheel and the drum does not want to cooperate. I have my puller on there and am giving the T bone a wack with my heavy hammer every time I am in the vicinity, but it still won't come off. I may try a little heat but don't have a real torch, just propane and I don't have much confidence in it helping. I will just keep at it and hopefully it will let go. I have replaced most of the brake lines/hoses and will finish up in the next few weeks. I am getting anxious to get this on the road and see how it performs.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 8:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Hang in there and keep the nut on the axle. Even the propane might help so I wouldn't hesitate giving it a try. The old drums can be a real pain and sometimes you need a really big hammer to beat the T bone. Just when you think its an exercise in futility and start wondering why you put yourself thru the aggravation the blasted thing will pop loose.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 9:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Be sure to leave the axle nut on, but backed off a few threads. When these drums break loose they could fly off and hurt someone or damage something. That's a lot of weight flying around the garage. The drum is not the only thing that can be thrown about. I recently did some work on the rear brakes of my 115C. When one of the drums broke loose the dog bone was thrown free from the puller and landed across the garage. The drum stayed on the axle because I left the nut on.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/5/5 9:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
They are a pain. Here is what I do. I put on the puller as tight as I can make it. smack it tight with a couple of swings of heavy hammer. I use a long handled five pounder.
Soak it heavily with penetrating oil. bang it a couple more times. soak it down again with more oil. let it sit several hours, then repeat. Keep this up and it will eventually pop. May take a couple of days but it will eventually come off. I keep wondering if this is doing more harm than good, but it works. If you are near by when it pops, you will hear it.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 9:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Some folks and even some mechanics who should know better give a solid whack to the end of the puller and thus against the end of the axle shaft. This can be damaging to both the axle shaft threads, wheel bearings and the axle shaft thrust block so I don't recommend it, though in a case of pure desperation you might consider it - just be aware of the possible consequences and don't get over energetic!

Posted on: 2015/5/5 10:23
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

davegnh
See User information
Thanks for the encouragement and advice, the nut is still on the axle and I re-positioned the puller to different lugs so hopefully that will help. I will try some heat, and see if that makes a difference.

Posted on: 2015/5/5 14:43
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

davegnh
See User information
Here is a long overdue update, I was finally able to get the rear drum off. I left the puller on with pressure for weeks, I finally took my little propane torch and after a few minutes it popped off, I didn't think it would help, but I was wrong, it did, thanks for the advice. I am just about through with the brakes, new wheel cylinders, new hoses and all new lines. I had the master rebuilt, now I need to install it and then finish up the lines running to it. If nothing else, I want to be able to stop! I am getting close, I have been distracted by HUDSON projects but should be back to the Packard now.

Posted on: 2015/6/22 7:57
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved