Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (106 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 165

BigKev, 53 Cavalier, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Water Pump Without Lip/Ridge On Water Neck
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
I purchased a rebuilt water pump and I noticed that the replacement water pump does not have a "lip" or a ridge at the tip of the water neck housing. See attached photo of old on the right compared to new on the left.

If I were to install this pump my concern would be that when the cooling system pressurizes that the rubber hose would slip off because there is no lip/ ridge for the hose clamp to press against.

Has anyone else had this issue?

Attach file:

jpg  (14.80 KB)
84982_555cf2c0016b7.jpg 448X252 px

Posted on: 2015/5/20 15:44
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

Re: Water Pump Without Lip/Ridge On Water Neck
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
With a snug-fitting hose and good quality hose clamp properly applied I wouldn't be the least bit concerned. Using a hardening gasket paste or gasket shellac would make an even more secure fitment.

Posted on: 2015/5/20 16:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
That looks like a good 3/16ths of an inch difference in diameter, no? I would think that a custom fit hose for your application may not be able to be tightened enough for a good (non-slip) seal. A universal flex hose (with a smaller diameter end) might be the option.

I have used the Permatex yellow colored high tack gasket sealant to hold hoses in place with good results.

Good luck!

Mark

Posted on: 2015/5/20 19:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
I would have to agree with Owen on this one. A good quality hose clamp and a new fresh resilient hose you should have no problems with leaking. We offer more than just Packard water pumps at Kanter and you would be surprise how many of the GM, Ford and Mopar water pumps do no have a ridge/ lip. I do not think you will not have a problem whatsoever.

Thanks
James

Posted on: 2015/5/21 11:30
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also, I believe that is the inlet side to the pump. So it should be under vacuum relatively speaking as opposed to the pressure side of the pump.

Posted on: 2015/5/27 17:05
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved