Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 114

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1951 engine identification?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Is there a way to tell if the car (200 series) has a 288 or a 327 engine? This car is equipped with an Ultramatic. I see standard equipment is listed to be a 3 spd manual.

Thanks John

Posted on: 2015/5/28 19:55
 Top  Print 

Re: 1951 engine identification?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Check the motor number on the side of engine just below the head. Should be on a smoothed pad either above the starter or near the distributor.

If it still has the original 51 engine the 288 will be J2XXXXX and the 327 5 main will be J4XXXXX. Any other starting letter will be an engine out of a different year. There is a serial number chart in the literature section which will help decipher the motor numbers.

Posted on: 2015/5/28 20:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Okay thanks.... John

Posted on: 2015/5/28 21:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

James Russell Packard III
See User information
May i ask a question on these lines>?

i picked up an engine trans combo.

the numbers : N3xxxxx making it a Packard replacemnet engine correct? with solid lifters?

i got it for my 52 deluxe with came special with the K4 motor ( 327 hydraulic )

did these replacement motors really come with solids lifters>

does any body know the story on these replacements?

i would go out and get a picture. but i am sure you guys know what it looks like.

Posted on: 2015/5/30 9:14
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Service engines appear to be one of those gray areas. Don't believe anything official has been posted or mentioned actually denoting the N as a service engine but since Packard never used N as a year designator in normal production it leads to that conclusion.

There are some service counselor articles saying all service engines are equipped with hydraulic lifters. Dec 1951 issue covering the 51 and 52 engines is one and it goes on to state that when replacing an engine to stamp the H for the hydraulic option after the motor number. There are a couple of articles in the Sept-Oct 54 timeframe. First says all 51-4 service engines are hydraulic and configured for Ultramatic and tells the service guy what to change if installing in a manual car. The second article in 54 brings questions because it cancels the previous article saying all 51-4 service engines had hydraulics and corrected it as only referring to 54 engines. It stated the numbers given in parts manuals were to be used for service engine replacement on 51-3 cars. If that is the case, unless the factory designated those various replacement numbers to that mentioned service engine it would appear solid lifters might have been available.

I can't find the article right now but believe there was also a bulletin from the Stude era stating the warehouse had found some leftover 51-4 engines but don't recall if the article mentioned how they were equipped.

Posted on: 2015/5/30 9:46
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I want to ask another question. For 1951 would 288 or 327 engines have hydraulic lifters if they are in automatic transmission equipped cars? Or can is it still solid lifters in a 200 series car?

John

Posted on: 2015/5/30 10:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
IIRC Hyd on the 327 in 51 and 288's were solid. I have had a few persons contact me wanted up upgrade from solid to Hyd. Unfortunately, they are not interchangeable.

I have a 288 in house with solid and a 327/Ultramatic with Hyd.

Posted on: 2015/5/30 10:47
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I have a 327 with solid lifters so apparently it was done on occasion and as I recall it also has one of the replacement numbers.

Posted on: 2016/1/6 13:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
To my knowledge, regardless of transmission, the 327 was never offered with solid lifters. Beginning in 1951 hydraulic lifters were optional on the 288, standard on all others.

Posted on: 2016/1/6 13:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The 327 in the 22nd/23rd series [Super 8's] had solid lifters (per the Owners Manual) and I believe several other years/models following also had solid lifters on some of the 327s.

Posted on: 2016/1/6 20:59
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved