Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
86 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 85

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ultramatic Oil
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
What do you use now a days in the Packard Ultramatic Transmission for oil?

John

Posted on: 2015/6/22 21:52
 Top  Print   

Re: Ultramatic Oil
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Many will cry fowl but i've been using Dexron-Mercon in my 56 Executive for over 15 years and 25K miles. NO PROBLEMS!

In fact, i buy the CHEAPEST Dex-merc i can findd usualy at a local d"dollar store" called Freds here in TN.

Posted on: 2015/6/22 22:05
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Almost all the Ultramatic folks in my area use Type F, though those with converter clutches that "moo" or groan have reported some improvement with B&M's "Trick Shift".

Posted on: 2015/6/22 22:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
You'll probably see a variety of recommendations here. Some will say GM's Dexron, others will say Ford's Mercon. I've been using a fluid marked "Dexron III/Mercon" and it seems to work fine. Hopefully that's the best of both oils.

Everyone will say to stay away from anything marked Type "A" even though that was originally spec'd. for the Ultramatic. I've read that currently there are no standards for a Type "A" transmission fluid, so anything marked as such can contain anything the bottler wants to put in it.

Posted on: 2015/6/22 22:20
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Thanks all. Didn't know if the new stuff worked okay for these or not. I know some say the Hydramatics used in GM cars seem to slip more with the newer stuff.
Good thing to know about the Type A oil, I had thought of buying up some, I seen it available here. But maybe not.....

John

Posted on: 2015/6/23 9:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Type F is the closest to the original Type A which can be found easily today, Type FA follows closely. Though many folks have good results with Dexron/Mercon, Ultramatic was designed to use a fluid without "slip" additives.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 9:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think there was a suggestion in one of the early threads on the subject that if the clutch linings are still the original cork type F or the trick shift might be the better choice as the friction modifiers lets the plates grab quickly. The high range and direct drive clutch plates in the Ultra are under a tremendous load and need to be tightly locked together with a minimal of slipping and heat buildup. If the Ultra has been rebuilt and modern linings are in use then a bit of slippage can be tolerated and the smoother engagement and slight slip permitted with the Dexron types work well.

Posted on: 2015/6/23 9:42
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved