Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
139 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 136

Don Shields, humanpotatohybrid, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Generator to Alternator Conversion Wiring Question - 41 Packard 110
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Moms 54
See User information
Thank you Howard,

Yes I have an idiot light! I would much rather have meters for amps, volts and oil pressure.
It looks as tho my thought of doing this has perhaps exspanded into discreatly installing some gauges which that thought had crossed my mind many times in the past 20 or so years. Just a better feeling knowing what evrything is doing in real time.

And why not this seems to be the year with a freashly gone thru engine a disk brake and booster conversion with many new parts and updates that have been done to her.

Posted on: 2015/6/22 15:37
The best are yet to roll
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Moms 54
See User information
Im doing the conversion, any suggestions on a decent volt meter to buy?

Posted on: 2015/6/25 22:42
The best are yet to roll
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
AutoMeter makes a variety of gauges. Stewart Warner also makes them. Available online or at some auto parts stores.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/6/26 8:55
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think you will have to decide what kind of look vs functionality you are comfortable with. The biggest problem in recommending something is the lack of a decent selection of 6 volt auto gauges.

Almost all the standard auto voltmeters are rated for 12v. Analog style gauges which I think would look more appropriate in your car have very little information for the lower range -- say below 8 or 10v. Some offer a mark and number at 5 or 8 but the majority have a wide and mostly unmarked area below 10v where the voltage might be interpreted any way you please depending on your angle of view.

If you are comfortable with digital there are several that claim to read accurately in a range from 3-15v or so but IMO, a modern LED type readout would stand out and look out of place in your car -- but that is just me.

Westach does make 6v gauges and has a couple of voltmeters. Not the least expensive but comparable to quality units available from Classic Instruments or SW. Their style is very limited and IMO, they look more like something made for the military circa WWII but again that is me. .

Posted on: 2015/6/26 9:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My preference would be for an ammeter rather than a voltmeter.

Posted on: 2015/6/26 10:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I would prefer an ammeter too. However, i have one application here or a 6 to 12 conversion that i run both ammeter and volt meter due to operating very mismatched components.

Volt meter monitors CONDITION of battery. While ammeter monitors generator output and sudden spikes up or down of the generator and any wild fluctuations that can occur. Especialy when running Gerry rigged equipment.

Posted on: 2015/6/26 12:12
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Moms 54
See User information
Thanx all, yep I had done more than a few hours site hopping looking here and there and did find majority lean towards 12v some down to 8v and i did see the digital that reads both volts and amps "but no thanx".

Also have to keep in mind 6v positive ground so that may run into mounting concerns and may have to try to insulate the mounting surface if necessary.

After them hours of surfing I figured I would give it a shout on here "ask a man who owns one", im sure we all would like that vintage look as to our cars.
Having the dual reading of Amps and Volts would be great but that was pretty much in the digital displays i seen (No Thanx on them) but thanks for the leads....

Posted on: 2015/6/26 23:16
The best are yet to roll
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
When in doubt consult an expert. When still in doubt, let them do it. Go to an auto electric shop or the guy furnishing the alternator before you have a do it yourself meltdown.
Volts are measured in parallel and amps in series. Wire accordingly.
If the alternator has an internal voltage regulator, then you don't need the stock one and why it's jumped out. If you leave them both in, they'll buck each other.
Jumping out is the same as directly connecting wires up except just use the terminals to make the connections. Path of least resistance.

Posted on: 2015/6/28 11:46
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Moms 54
See User information
I did find this site, made for Model A Fords and ect.http://www.funprojects.com/products/5016-Voltmeter.aspx

Although come tomorrow (Monday) i'll call some of these larger companies and see what my options are on a voltmeter.

Posted on: 2015/6/28 16:23
The best are yet to roll
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved