Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
41 user(s) are online (28 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 38

Don B, Gary Kulp, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Senior Sabotage?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim L. in OR
See User information
In an idle moment I went surfing through the web and wound up on the Wikipedia's article on Packard. In the section dealing with the immediate post war years the relate a story of why the Senior Bodies of 1940 were not brought back after the war. It states that when the factory went over to full war production the body dies and tooling were literally left outside to the mercies of Detroit weather. Consequently, they were unusable. If I remember right Christopher was President of Packard by then or very close to it and given his "love" for the Seniors it sounds like something he'd order.

Has anyone else heard of this version?

Posted on: 2015/9/13 23:21
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
1951 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan (parts ?)
1951 Patrician Touring Sedan
1955 Patrician Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: Senior Sabotage?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Jim (Jim L. in OR), I can't confirm the whole story but at least the part that revolves around the storage location seems to be true.

Click to see original Image in a new window

1942-45 PACKARD FACTORY IN MOTHBALLS DURING THE WAR-B&W

Photo courtesy of the Detroit Public Library, National Automotive History Collection and used with permission.

Posted on: 2015/9/13 23:29
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Re: Senior Sabotage?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Has anyone else heard of this version?

Sure, it's said commonly in many reference sources. But is it of any consequence or matter, the older style senior bodies wouldn't have been marketable after the war anyway - totally obsolete from a styling point of view and therefore just worth their weight as scrap metal.

Posted on: 2015/9/14 9:05
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved