Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
67 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 66

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Valve Timing correction for '48 356 Engine
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Dowd
See User information
The BMW rally was great. The weather was perfect and the roads were very BMW friendly.

Started the engine yesterday and only have a couple of pan gasket drips so I'll work on that today. The engine idles smoothly at 500 RPM and I think it is ready for the body to be completed and installed on the frame.

The noisiest thing at idle is the fuel pump. I'll check the torque on the head nuts today, also.

Posted on: 2015/9/17 12:32
 Top  Print   

Re: Valve Timing correction for '48 356 Engine
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Dowd
See User information
The Motors Auto Repair Manual says the valve timing check should be done with the hydraulic lifter bled down and enough shim stock between the lifter and the valve to give zero clearance. I can see that this would be the way to get a proper check of the valve timing. No mention of this procedure is found in my Packard Manual.

To fix the oil leaks I removed the pan and replaced the gasket. (BTW...I undid the front mount and stabilizer bolts and raised the engine slightly by placing pieces of 2 X 4 between the mount feet an the frame.) This made removal of the pan much easier.

With a knife and a wire brush I removed all the original gasket and the RTV I'd used (very slightly) to affix the gasket on the pan. I noted that several of the bolt holes were 'coned' slightly so I flattened the pan gasket flange surface with a hammer and backup block.

With the new gasket and proper bolt torque the new gasket was as dry as it could be. I ran the engine to get it up to temp and then ran it for at an additional 30 minutes at various rpms from 500 to 2500. I hate oil leaks so I'm a pleased as I can possibly be.

Also...the original check run was performed with 50-50 antifreeze and water. The water temp reached 185 from time to time during the run. This latest check was performed with mostly distilled water and some Napa cooling system additive. The the temperature peaked at 165 and then settled to 160 deg (the thermostat rating) and stayed there for the entire test. Ambient temp for the second run was slightly cooler than the first but I was still impressed that the water temp was so much cooler.

Posted on: 2015/9/21 12:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved