Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
87 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 86

Larry Reber, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

54 Packard Clipper
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

jlw
See User information
Hi everybody, Restoring my 54 Packard Clipper super touring sedan. Would anybody happen to know what size the body mounting cushions are? Appreciate any help.

Posted on: 2015/9/20 21:43
 Top  Print   

Re: 54 Packard Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Check out Steeles site for a look at his reproductionshttp://www.steelerubber.com/search?c=/body-mount-pad-fittings&year=1954&make=packard If you click on the photo another window will open with an illustration having dimensions.

Posted on: 2015/9/20 22:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Don't know if you've seen BigKev's 1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Sedan Project Blog? Not quite the same car but it will be a valuable resource for restoration questions.

Posted on: 2015/9/21 0:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard France
See User information
Hello. I am also working on a 54 Packard Deluxe Clipper sedan. I am ready to set it on fire. I bought the car in running order. Drove it home and the fuel pump went out. Bought a new one from Max Merritt, it pumps until I hook up fuel, then nothing . If I pour a little gas in the carb it fires right up. Any suggestions? Yes I have gas and new fuel lines. Can my battery crank too slow for it to start? Since you have the same car, I thought you could help me out. Thanks, Richard

Posted on: 2015/9/22 17:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
...it pumps until I hook up fuel, then nothing

Can you clarify what you mean?

Posted on: 2015/9/22 17:41
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard France
See User information
Thanks for the reply. Fuel pump is bolted on, without fuel lines attached you can put fingers over the inlets and feel it suck and pump when cranking the motor. When I hook the fuel lines up to it, no fuel is being pumped in or out. Just to double check it might have a clogged fuel line between the tank and pump, I have attached a rubber gas line with another filter into a 5 gallon can of fresh gas, still no luck. I am at my wits end.

Posted on: 2015/9/22 18:33
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Richard France,
to PackardInfo and , despite the fuel pump tribulations, for including your '54 Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan in the Registry! I'm sure, along with advice from the experienced and knowledgeable members here, you'll have it running well soon.

Posted on: 2015/9/23 2:25
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'm at a loss on the pump issue. If you have suction at one of the bottom side ports does it stay when you stop cranking and only release when you remove your finger. Does the corresponding outlet port have pressure and push your finger away. If it does there should be no reason fuel is not pulled in. If either suction or pressure goes away as soon as cranking stops then possibly a valve is stuck or there is another defect in the pump.

You said you replaced the lines. Did that include the small rubber flex hose at the pump. Those are known for intermittent issues as they age. You said there was plenty of gas. There is a place on the input line in the tank that can rust and develop pin holes and admit air instead of fuel. The tank needs to be at least half full to eliminate that as a possibility. The old floating or moving debris in the tank which periodically blocks the input opening has caught many as has not having a vented fuel tank cap.

Your having the issue with just a hose and aux tank makes me suspect something in the new pump may not be in order if that arrangement was connected directly to the input port on the pump and there were no air leaks..

Posted on: 2015/9/23 8:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard France
See User information
Thank you for the information, I will check each of those right now. I appreciate all the help.

Posted on: 2015/9/23 8:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You also mentioned a filter but didn't say where you placed the new test filter. If you have one of the original ceramic in the glass bowl types in the output line near the carb those elements have been known to plug sufficiently that fuel cannot get thru very fast -- if at all. If that happened the pump could conceivably build up enough pressure in the output side that fuel can't be sucked in and thru.

Posted on: 2015/9/23 11:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved