Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
218 user(s) are online (147 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 217

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Car tires were originally white?!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
I was watching an episode of "American Pickers" when the subject of car tires came up relative to a pick they were doing. I was amazed to discover that originally car tires were white until 1913 when manufacturers starting adding a black polymer to the mix to improve longevity (I think).

I take it, then, that early Packards had white tires.

as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2015/10/30 9:22
 Top  Print   

Re: Car tires were originally white?!
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The tires were white because the rubber used then , like the rubber used today, is off-white. Carbon black was added as a reinforcing filler and weathering aid to the polymer compound, making tires black. There was a brief fling with colored tires, in I believe the late 40's.

Posted on: 2015/10/30 9:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Fascinating information. Thank you for sharing it.

The subject of car tires came up on "American Pickers" when he guys were negotiating buying a caste-iron Michelen Man air-compressor novelty item primarily used in Europe back in the teens/twenties. They started talking "early tires," and that's when I discovered that tires were initially white (really off-white).

I'm almost embarrassed to admit I have learned a lot of arcane information watching "American Pickers" and "Pawn Stars." I guess some reality TV show have some redeemable value.

as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2015/10/30 9:47
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Alvin14
See User information
Once had a 1917 Oakland open touring car. It had all white (both sides) straight ribbed tires.

Posted on: 2015/10/30 17:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved