Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
59 user(s) are online (33 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 57

humanpotatohybrid, West Peterson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 54 Packard 327. 2 barrel carb wgd-2102s. rebuild
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As I saw it it appears that the broken portion is elevated above the casting and the "well" was open from the rear, so I thought cutting a slot for a screwdriver would be easy - perhaps I saw it incorrectly. If you try an easy-out, I'd recommend the type pictured; stronger, less likely to break and easier to control than the more conventional type. The disadvantage of the easy-out is that to grip the brass securely it will apply an outward force, pressing the brass against the threads - the broad-blade screwdriver eliminates that.

Attach file:

jpg  (73.85 KB)
177_56361deb96165.jpg 904X1280 px

Posted on: 2015/11/1 9:16
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard France
See User information
Will do. Thanks guys.

Posted on: 2015/11/1 11:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
If you decide to try and drill it, use left hand drill bits. The LH motion will tend to loosen the broken part. Still, as O_D, and others have said it is a tricky procedure to do without damaging the threads in the top. If the drilling is at right angles to the top, then a drill press would be a good choice. You can clamp the top, and have straight drilling with better control than a hand held drill. Good luck.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/11/1 11:34
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard France
See User information
I did not know they made LH drill bits. You guys are a fountain of information. I will make a trip to Lowes after while. Thanks

Posted on: 2015/11/1 11:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Lowe's may not have LH drill bits. Best bet would be a machine shop or industrial supply store. Of course, the InterWeb will have them.

(o{}o)

Goes without saying, but I am going to say it: You will need a reversible drill or a special LH drill.

Posted on: 2015/11/1 11:42
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard France
See User information
You answer my questions before I ask them, your good. First was what an ez out looked like and if Lowes would have them, and second, if my drill on reverse would work. Now we are making progress !! Thanks. I will update my post after I aquire completion. Thanks again to everybody for the help. I hope I can help in return sometime.

Posted on: 2015/11/1 12:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Take it to a local machine shop. They should have the tools and know how. If you mess up, well...

Posted on: 2015/11/1 13:12
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard France
See User information
GOT IT !!! It is out, cleaned up the threads and have the new piece in. Carb is all back together and ready to go in tomorrow, if its not still pouring the rain like they are calling for. Thank you everyone for the help and information. Now lets hope it works.

Posted on: 2015/11/1 21:18
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved