Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 122

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1949 Egg Crate Grille Available???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
So to dig up this Post from the Past...

I am looking at the 1948 Fact Book and it talks about the Series 22nd cars (like my dads).

On page 18 it has a picture of a Model 2252 Custom Eight Touring Sedan and on page 19 it has a Model 2255 Custom Eight Club and both of these cars have the Egg Crate Grille.

On page 183 (dang there are a lot of pages) it lists the specifications of the cars and the overall width of all the cars is 77 15/32" even though the wheelbases are 120 or 127.

Would it stand to say that the front end sheet metal was the same between the cars and therefore the egg crate grille would be interchangeable with the non-egg?

Just considering economies of scale in production it would make economic sense for Packard to have as many of the body panels interchangeable as much as possible so as to save on production costs.

Posted on: 2015/11/1 20:13
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Packard 1948 wrote:
Would it stand to say that the front end sheet metal was the same between the cars and therefore the egg crate grille would be interchangeable with the non-egg?

Just considering economies of scale in production it would make economic sense for Packard to have as many of the body panels interchangeable as much as possible so as to save on production costs.

No, the Custom 8 fenders, hood and most of the grille pieces are completely different than the other models. The basic body shells are the same for all, but the extra length for the longer wheelbase cars is in the front end sheet metal. The Custom 8 eggcrate grille is also wider than the others.

Posted on: 2015/11/1 23:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
at the risk of stepping in a hole, I'll try this generality:
Throughout the 1940's (boldly claiming 6 series) the difference between the shortest wheelbase and the 127" wheelbase was forward of the cowl.

Posted on: 2015/11/2 9:40
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved