Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
71 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 70

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1954 Packard clipper deluxe sedan. for SALE !!
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard France
See User information
1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan.....for sale.
New fuel pump, rebuilt carb, points, plugs, wires, condenser, coil, battery, battery cables, starter solenoid, oil change, patial new interior. 327 straight 8, power steering and power brakes. I got the car two months ago from the original owner. Car ran when I bought it. Fuel pump went out halfway home. Replaced everything listed above, with help from many on this site. Car is in time. Turns over nice and fast but wont start. I give up. Asking $3500 obo. Please call for any questions or email me. Pics comming up soon.

Posted on: 2015/11/2 11:41
 Top  Print 

Re: 1954 Packard clipper deluxe sedan. for SALE !!
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Might I suggest one more thing before completely giving up. Might not help but won't cost anything more than a few minutes time.

Remove the plugs and clean and dry and check the gap on the electrodes. Make sure the gap is the recommended .023-028 and clean them so there is no oily film or condensed gas moisture that could be killing the spark. Sometimes when there is a lot of cranking and no action such as you have been experiencing the plugs can get completely fouled and the 6v spark just cannot jump the gap.

Posted on: 2015/11/2 12:15
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard France
See User information
Ok. Will try that when it stops raining. It has new plugs, shouldnt be nasty, but it doesnt hurt to try. Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/11/2 12:18
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Definitely recheck the gap if you didn't before.. New plugs might have come with a modern typically .035 gap which is asking quite a bit from the 6v spark.

Posted on: 2015/11/2 12:32
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Here are some pictures..... John

Attach file:

jpg  (118.11 KB)
80331_5637af62ac886.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (94.09 KB)
80331_5637af7ad4f38.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (117.49 KB)
80331_5637afa215065.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (63.46 KB)
80331_5637afbc04ee3.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/11/2 13:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Looks like a pretty tidy ride!

Posted on: 2015/11/2 17:39
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Richard France
See User information
Thanks for posting the pics for me John. I rechecked the plugs, they are clean and gapped correct. Also double checked fire with in line tester. Getting fire and getting gas. Somebody take this home please. I need a car that runs and this is my only car.

Posted on: 2015/11/2 18:34
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Not sure why the pictures turned out sideways..... They were right way around in the e-mail and on the computer when I downloaded them. But it does look like a clean looking car.
John

Posted on: 2015/11/2 18:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
does it have an aftermarket wiring harness perhaps? is there a modern fuse block under the dash somewhere? I ask because I installed such a harness and one of the features is a coil "kill switch" on the fuse block, for anti-theft. With that switch OFF, no voltage to the coil and no spark.

just thinking out loud here, seems you've tried pretty much everything else. Only thing to do is try some of those things again, until you find the simple, obvious (in hindsight) item that is tripping you up.

Posted on: 2015/11/2 18:54
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
One thing that stands out to me, is it turns over nice and fast. Not many 6 volt cars turn over fast. Do you happen to have a compression gauge to check compression in the cylinders?
John

Posted on: 2015/11/2 20:06
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
1941 PACKARD ADVERT
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2021, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved