Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
100 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 98

DavidM, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Delco rotor button with resistor
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren Jones
See User information
Hi all. I am trying to confirm the condition of the rotor button in my 56 400... The distributor is Delco and rotor has inbuilt resistor and i measure the resistance at 23 K Ohms with a multimeter, which seems high to me. I am struggling to find any information on what the resistance should be... Any assistance is greatly appreciated... I bought the rotor from Max Merrit... Thanks.
Warren

Attach file:

jpg  (106.31 KB)
940_564459ca2de15.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/11/12 4:21
 Top  Print 

Re: Delco rotor button with resistor
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I recommend doing away with the resistor rotor and getting one without a resistor. These resistors are problem prone and can leave you stranded with a non-running engine. The reason for them is to lessen radio and tv interference. This can be better accomplished with resistor spark plugs.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/11/12 10:46
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I measured a whole handful and they were anywhere from 9-25000 ohms. I am also not fond of those rotors as the resistor has a habit of falling out. A rotor from a 56 Pontiac has the same dimensions, but no resistor. That is what I use in all my own and customer's cars. The Napa number, sorry its no use to you, is RR157.

Posted on: 2015/11/12 14:55
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren Jones
See User information
Thanks JW and Ross. Just the info I was after... NAPA number isn't a problem as I have a couple of mates over there who can assist... Appreciate the assistance yet again...
The car has been on the road now for about a month and I am very pleased with the final product... A couple of photos below.... Thanks again.
Warren.

Attach file:

jpg  (127.45 KB)
940_564503c4482a8.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (115.06 KB)
940_564503ed0dc44.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (96.11 KB)
940_5645040c25cb6.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/11/12 16:26
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
PLEASE, tell me the history of the RHD conversion. I know a few were done for 1956 by Packard's London dealer Leonard Williams and I think Kellow-Faulkiner in Melbourne were out of the Packard picture by 1956. There has been an on-and-off rumor that D'Iteren Freres in Belgium who did a few knock-down assemblies for Packard in 1955 and 1956 might have been done 1 or 2. In addition to the usual details about the pedals, etc. the other 56 conversions I've seen done by Leonard Williams had to install a '47 type under dash heater because the heater box interferes with the steering gear box.

History and details, please.

Posted on: 2015/11/12 16:38
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good looking car and I second O_Ds request for more info. First RHD V8 with a photo showing much interior detail I've seen. Dash looks to be similar in layout so almost a mirror image but am I in error believing most RHD gear selectors were operated by the left hand? IF so, wonder if they just left that one stock because it was PB or did they move any to left side.

Photos show the 22-23 series front heaters could not be used so curious about the later ones too. Does yours have an under hood heater on the left or is all that blanked off and just uses underseat? Any underhood photos you can share?

Posted on: 2015/11/12 17:01
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Warren,

Great to see your Four Hundred on the road, congratulations.

Dave and Howard,

In Warren's Registry entry for the car you'll see it was originally LHD.

Posted on: 2015/11/12 17:21
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren Jones
See User information
Hi all. The car was indeed originally left hand drive... Dash is from a local 4 door Clipper. To my knowledge, no senior cars were here from new RHD. Interesting that even though the dash came from an Aussie assembled/converted car, it too was originally LHD. They simply cut and shut the relevant sections of panels to mirror image the dash... The car uses a Ford Falcon steering box with some minor chassis modifications... It still uses the original 56 column. Power steering pump and ram are original Bendix. A talented friend of mine modified the end of the ram to relocate/ reorientate the hose connections to allow me to reverse the ram... All new boss had to be made.
The original heater works fine, but I did some surgery on the air vent part of it to allow for the throttle linkage to pass thru... Interestingly I could still use the original under dash air box/plenum and had plenty of clearance. Pedal set up and handbrake are original, just relocated... The engine bay is a bit congested on the right side, Brake pedal supports required some surgery also.
Most of the dash wiring had to be modified or extended, but I used the original as a basis... I didn't bother to reverse the power seat switch, but did reverse the window wiring to get the master switch into the right hand door. This required cutting up the steel panels on both doors where the switches mount... I could not find a dash mesh screen from a local Clipper nor could I find a suitable material to make a new one, so just reversed the LHD panel. It fit the RHD dash perfectly... It doesn't have the same finish but looks OK... Not many of these here for anyone to really pick the difference...

Attach file:

jpg  (32.14 KB)
940_5645370a615a6.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.32 KB)
940_56453738baf0f.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.59 KB)
940_564537ce283c8.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.38 KB)
940_564538afc14dd.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (42.77 KB)
940_564539029dba9.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/11/12 20:13
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren Jones
See User information
Thanks guys... I'm happy to see it on the road also... It's been about a 5 year build, but boy was it worth it...

Attach file:

jpg  (38.35 KB)
940_56453aa8adc18.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.78 KB)
940_56453ac79cbf4.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (110.43 KB)
940_56453b7e325b2.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/11/12 20:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Payne
See User information
G'day Boys, good to see my old project up and running. By the way, the steering box is Ford Fairlane, the earlier Aussie version that also used a power steering ram. The rotor button that I'm using was sourced for me by the previous owner of my '56 Patrician. In fact he sent me a couple of them, plus a couple of distributor caps. They are all NAPA but the rotor button is a # RR159, and the cap # RR158. Ross' rotor button number is not exactly the same and I don't know what the difference is. In any event I still have a spare button so I'll give it to Warren to test. The one in the Patrician has worked without fail for a few years now so I'm guessing it must have the same physical dimensions as Ross'. Regards, John

Posted on: 2015/11/13 1:49
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved