Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
68 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 67

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 Model 200 transmission issue
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Craig Fox
See User information
Well winter is here, and I am going to see about sorting out the 3 speed transmission. It has been jumping out of gear in second, and first. The second gear syncro is bad. It seems to have a rather short throw when sifting into first. I talked to the Packard guy at Tucsan Packard and he suggested that I inspect the linkage before I do anything. I have heard that there is an inspection panel on the floor above the transmission. In order to get to it it looks as though i will have to,remove the carpet, which looks like I will have to remove the front seat. I can't see this panel in either the manual, or part plate books. Is it there, and is it worth the effort to get to it? It might make better sense to just get under the car and watch as a friend shifts the gears? He said that he could supply a rebuilt transmission for about $400 plus shipping exchanged. That seems fair. Anyone with some imput? Thanks

Posted on: 2015/12/2 22:33
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 Model 200 transmission issue
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
AFAIK, 51 on cars do not have the removable panel --there is just a small round plate that could be removed to access the breather port on 51-4 Ultramatics. The large removable panels stopped with the 50 models.

Linkage is definitely something that should be checked. Make sure the bushings at the rod ends are in good condition and there is not a lot of wear and slop between the rods and various levers. Also check the end supports on the shaft holding the bellcrank assy between the frame and engine for tightness. I believe there are some rubber isolators involved so make sure all are intact.

There is a hole between the two levers at bottom end of steering column where a pin can be inserted to lock them together. Insert the pin and then check that the turnbuckles are adjusted so when the operator lever is in neutral the transmission levers are exactly at neutral too. The SM doesn't cover that very well but there is a brief description at the end of the transmission section just before the troubleshooting starts. The parts are different so details vary some but the principle and linkage operation is the same in earlier models. The adjustment procedure is covered well in several of the 41-50 service counselors that detail various sticking in gear and linkage problems.

Also check the motor mounts. If any are in bad condition so the engine could rock or move excessively under torque the rods and bellcrank assy could be pulled in such a way that if a gear is barely selected it could be pulled out. 51 on had different motor mounts than the earlier cars and can't remember if the later cars used a snubber assy. If there is a long rod like affair between the trans and frame center x member it was there to control fore and aft motion of the engine/trans assy. If present, make sure it is intact, tight, and the rubber bushings are good.

If all that checks out then would be the time to look at the transmission. One thing to check while you do the linkage is disconnect the rods from the levers on side of transmission and move the levers by hand. Make sure there is no excessive motion at the levers caused by a loose interlock block and the detent is strong at each position. A worn or loose interlock block or weak detent could allow the falling out of gear.

Posted on: 2015/12/2 23:31
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Craig Fox
See User information
Thanks thats a good long list of things to check. Glad I didn't pull the seat and carpet up to find that I couldn't get there from here.

Posted on: 2015/12/3 0:38
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Craig Fox
See User information
Well I found something interesting today about the shift linkage. I got under the car, and oiled every rod connection, and greased the shaft that the linkages pivot on. While Mary shifted the trans I watched the movement, and found that the inner bracket that holds the pivot shaft was loose. I tightened the two bolts that hold it, and it seems on the first test drive that it is not popping out to second gear now. The shift lever has a distinct wobble when driving in second gear now. I wonder if this is why the bracket loosened? Does anyone know where I might find a cover boot for the shift lever where it meets the down shaft at the steering wheel? There isn't one on the shifter now. I will further test the gears staying in place when set when I can take a longer drive.

Posted on: 2016/1/10 23:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Max has the rubber boots in black. I believe they were all black from 51 on but if not and your car used it Steele Rubber also has the brown as well as the black boot. Kanter might have them too.

I would verify the condition and tightness of the motor mounts. Make sure the vulcanized rubber cushion material has not separated from the metal. If I understand the "wobble" motion you are describing, I believe the only way the lever would move up and down is if the engine is actually rocking slightly in the frame and is transmitting that motion to the levers at the base of steering column and then up the shaft to the operator lever.

Posted on: 2016/1/10 23:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I worked on a stick shift Caribbean with a blown trans due to abuse. The dog clutching teeth on 2nd speed were worn due to the abuse. A dog clutch has a reverse tooth profile that causes increased lock up or bite with loading (get it?).

I was able to improve the situation by tinkering with the linkage but it would still pop out during higher speed engine braking.

Given you car has a first gear problem I think you are on the right path by inspecting the linkages and motor mounts.

Posted on: 2016/1/11 17:07
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved