Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
199 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 199

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Opinions wanted on this 1938 unrestored Packard coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
http://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=89132

I just stumbled upon this 1938 unrestored Packard coupe listed at nearly $16,000. Not even sure if the car is still available, but thought I'd bounce it off forum members to see what they think about it.

The ad says it's in great running shape. Of course, there are some body issues.

I'd appreciate feedback.

as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2016/1/12 14:33
 Top  Print   

Re: Opinions wanted on this 1938 unrestored Packard coupe
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

spfan
See User information
From the pics I'd say it's its a great looking original car.
I have allways been of the opinion that an original car should stay just that,original.A car can only be original once.As it is it is an important bit of history,showing others exactly the way the car came equipped from the factory."Wrinkles are a badge of honor saying "hey I survived"

I have an original 1957 clipper and I love it :)

good luck

spfan

Posted on: 2016/1/12 17:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.

Since the car is a reliable driver and looks ok, is what I find so appealing about it. I figured I could have cosmetics taken care of as I could afford them, while enjoying driving. To the casual passer-by, the car looks good.

as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2016/1/12 19:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Garrett

It looks like a decent example which has been maintained over the years. Still, before spending that much money, I'd want to inspect it in person or hire a qualified Packard appraiser to do so, give you an objective report.

The latter choice might be best so you don't end up disappointed with its purchase. Nothing like having disinterested eyes assessing a car you're enthusiastic to possibly own.

Steve

Posted on: 2016/1/13 8:27
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Excellent suggestion. I'm not certain if the current owner is a Packard enthusiast OR just someone trying to make a few dollars--which is perfectly fine. If the latter, the fact the car cranks, drives, and runs "fine," may qualify the car in the viewpoint of owner as a solid/sound car.

Still, an experienced Packard mechanic would be able to go over the car with a fine-tooth comb and see any potential costly problem areas, in spite of running and driving right now.

Sine I have never owned a Packard and am just an impoverished school teacher, that particular Packard caught my immediate attention because it is (a) an ostensibly reliable driver, and (b) financially accessible, thus making a good entry-level car for me. I don't nearly have the resources to get a car that is not running or is in need some serious body-work.

I thought, hey, here's a car that I could reasonably expect to enjoy driving locally AND that looks halfway decent at a glance, while having piece-meal repair work done as finances allow, such as fixing the horn, radio, clock, and having the running boards refurbished.

Thanks, again, for the advice. Believe me, I'm a sitting duck for any unscrupulous seller trying to unload a money pit.

as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2016/1/14 10:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I think it's Hagerty that offers a thorough pre purchase inspection for $250 IIRC.

Posted on: 2016/1/14 10:46
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Thank you for the reference. I'll contact Hagerty.
as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2016/1/14 11:00
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved