Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 143

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: I need some serious advice about buying a Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Im in my late 30's and usually the only packard owner on local car shows educating people that packard was only second to Duesenberg in the 30's.

Here's a good example that might be worth looking at. It's not a coupe, and you sure want to check it before buying:

http://centralmich.craigslist.org/cto/5445301668.html

Posted on: 2016/2/23 23:36
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
that one's been for sale a while - don't those look like old film photos?

Posted on: 2016/2/24 9:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I think the asking price for this car is way more than it is currently worth. Those look a lot like low-priced (re: poorly fitted) seat covers to me. You'd better find out what's them, because re-upholstering the front and back seats in the correct fabrics can be pretty pricey. Also, I noticed that it appears to be missing a couple of headliner strips, which probably accounts for the sagging headliner.

It is too bad that the main photo of the car is so washed out. I can't make out a lot of detail looking at that shot and most of the others look like they were snapped when the owner was trying to ride a hover board.

I really liked ScottG's advice. A person can learn anything when that person is willing to learn. Owning a Packard may seem like a lonely quest, but there are a lot more owners and cars than you might believe. And it has been my experience that Packard owners are some of the kindest, more helpful people that anyone could ask for. Just take some time and read some these posts on this site.

Another good idea is to contact your local Packard club[s] and talk with some members. You can join a club without actually owning a Packard. To paraphrase "Field of Dreams" -- Join the club: the car[s] will come!" When an antique car owner meets a young man or woman sincerely interested in acquiring an antique car, you can rest assured that he will do all he can to make sure you find a good car for a decent price.

Posted on: 2016/2/24 14:39
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
I totally agree. The forum members here are among the best I have ever encountered on the few forums where I'm a member. Good grief, I've been on forums where the members were vicious, cruel, and often vulgar--and with little to no provocation.

All the advice/guidance I've received has been extremely enlightening and provided me with a much-needed reality-check. It is so easy to say--and in some cases easy to buy for those with the ready resources--"I want a Packard." But, there are the very real and practical considerations that must be taken into account, which this forum has brought to my attention.

My biggest error in judgement was trying to think in terms of owning a Packard the same away a person thinks of owning a modern car--just get in it and go. There are so many more factors to take into consideration when owning a vintage car. While this "reality check" has been a bitter pill to swallow, it has been most helpful and kept me from making a grievous and costly error.

as always
Garrett M

Posted on: 2016/2/25 12:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
I have come to the conclusion that the best way to buy a Packard is through networking with other Packard owners. I'd like to think that the Golden Rule is followed by Packard owners when buying/selling/trading cars.

Since I"m a sitting duck for anyone wanting to unload a Packard to turn a quick buck, I think it would behoove me to work solely with Packard owners when seeking a Packard to purchase.

as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2016/2/25 12:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Wow, that is a car I could reasonably obtain. I can see now that my best bet at finding a Packard is by networking with other Packard owners.

Thanks for showing me that ad. It buoys my spirits that even an impoverished school teacher might be able to get a Packard.

as always
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2016/2/25 12:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
Much good advice here!
I'm a retired teacher and a long time vintage car owner. Like you, my Dad taught me nothing about cars because to him, a mechanical engineer amazingly, a car was for transportation only, and he'd rather play golf, so he never did so much as change oil. Even as a little kid I loved cars but to him there were merely an appliance. He discouraged me when I had a chance to buy a 2 seater T-Bird in High school, at a very reasonable price! After college and in my 20s I drove a 5 yr Volvo but decided I wanted a really old car with some character, so bought a nice looking '47 Olds straight 8 Coupe that was in the paper, knowing very little about it. I was lucky that it turned out to be a decent car.

As mentioned these older cars are much simpler than modern cars, and so they are great to learn on. I taught myself to work on and maintain it just by reading Chiltons and other books on Auto Repair. One I really recommend for basics is the Popular Science book: "How to Repair and Service your Own Car" by Richard Day, published before cars got very complicated. You can probably find it on Amazon. I learned almost everything I needed for most repairs from this one book. It'd have been even easier if I'd had the resources of a club, but there was none nearby at the time, nor personal computers or the Web. Now you have that specialized knowledge right here at PI.com. I loved the learning process, solving problems, and working on it was very therapeutic after a crazy day at school, believe me! 40 years later, it's been a most rewarding hobby. It isn't rocket science, you can learn any aspect of it that you put your mind and effort towards mastering.

So the bottom line is you can do this, don't be intimidated, hang in there and ask for help when needed. If it's not a daily driver there's no big pressure to fix things asap so it becomes a fun challenge and the challenges are worth it!

The best other advice I can give is stick to pre-war, or '41-47 Clipper (in my opinion just as desirable), and consider a 4 dr sedan, they are just as classic, very practical, usually cheaper to buy, and far easier to find. You should be able to find a solid decent prewar car for well under 10K if you are patient, and a club will have the best contacts. Get a running car with solid body (get a club member to help evaluate it, most love to help out) that needs cosmetics, which can be done later. You don't need correct seat covers or perfect paint to have fun, and it should be all about fun!

So have at it, and remember that all the good advice you'll need is right here, the best car group on the net! Even though I (once again) own a vintage Olds, I still enjoy reading and kibitizing here from time to time, because Packard owners are the best! Keep looking... you have to have a Dream for a Dream to come true!
cheers, Roger in NY

Posted on: 2016/2/26 13:40
56 Clipper Deluxe survivor
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Scott in San Jose
See User information
Hi Gang,

New here. Thought that I would join in on this one. I'm looking at getting into a Packard as well. Thought that I could benefit from the answers to Garrett's questions and he might benefit from mine. I had a 1940 Hudson Super Six for a number of years. Great car to learn the love of vintage cars. Now, like Garrett am interested in a Junior Packard.

Searched the forum. Am hoping to find a resource to compare models and years. For example do they all have wood frames? What year started the overdrive and column shift? My preference is a sedan with column shift that will fit in my garage.

Thanks

Scott

Posted on: 2016/2/26 16:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
All steel frames on the junior line from 1938 on.
Column shift 1939 first year.
I think overdrive 1940 and up.

Posted on: 2016/2/26 16:38
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Scott in San Jose,
to PackardInfo. I invite you to include your Packard in the Packard Owner's Registry once you've acquired it!

BDC, believe OD first year was '39 together with the column shift.

Posted on: 2016/2/26 17:04
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved