Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (49 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1939 Packard 110 Dashboard Trim Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Anyone know how to remove the glove box door chrome trim and dash chrome trim pieces form a 39 Packard 110? Getting ready to refinish these parts and strip and re-wood grain the dashboard. Haven't figured out if the chrome parts are glued on or ?

Posted on: 2016/2/28 23:06
 Top  Print 

Re: 1939 Packard 110 Dashboard Trim Removal
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JohnCobb
See User information
I just finished this project about two months ago, good luck on the results. There are several small tabs that are bent over to hold the chrome to the dash, you will need to slowly straighten these up to release them. You probably will have several of them break off but it should work OK at the finish. I sent my chrome pieces out to the chrome shop and they look very nice now. To re attach all of this I was able to rebend a few of the tabs but I put a thick coating of RTV silicone around the speedo and clock circles and along the edges of the straight sections. Then I used a bunch of clamps to hold it all tight for a bit. It came out very nice. I used the Grain-It Technologies kit with their large size roller, this process took several weeks as I would strip it again and repaint it to get the correct pattern and color.

Attach file:

jpg  (61.63 KB)
11516_56d4522644e6d.jpg 531X709 px

jpg  (37.53 KB)
11516_56d4523ab551d.jpg 478X638 px

jpg  (25.49 KB)
11516_56d4524e7acd4.jpg 446X446 px

Posted on: 2016/2/29 9:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Here is a dash for a 39 110 that I wood grained last year for a friend, using Grain-It technology tools. It is the 5th dash that I've done. Not too hard after you butt your head against the wall a few times and finally get the technique down.

Attach file:

jpg  (111.53 KB)
1679_56d4557f5b15a.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2016/2/29 9:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Thanks David & John !

Over the years, someone had "flocked" the glove compartment door and I did not see the tabs. Haven't banged my head against the wall for about a week, so ready to tackle the graining

Any secrets in removing the dash?

Posted on: 2016/2/29 9:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
You can first remove the instrument panel by crawling on your back, on the floor. There are about 4 or 6, don't remember exactly, nuts that hold the panel on. Remove the speedometer cable and disconnect the battery (so you don't accidentally move a wire and short something out). You will also need to disconnect the gauges as well. There are two bolts on each end of the dash that come from the body into the dash. Remove all four of the nuts from them. Also, remove the front window trim, as there are a number of Phillips head screws along the edge of the windshield. Be sure to label each wire before you take them loose, and take lots of photos as you are laying on your back, so you will be able to figure it out.

When I pulled the dash on my car, the glove box was missing so that made things easier. I believe the box is held in with screws accessible inside the box.

You may also want to remove the front seat completely just to make life a bit less painful. The job is not difficult, just takes some head scratching and fiddling.

Posted on: 2016/2/29 14:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jwblazek
See User information
Thanks David, looks like I am up for lots of fun. I plan on repairing and rewiring a lot at the same time. Will take tons of photos for others
Thanks again

John

Posted on: 2016/2/29 14:50
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Darrin180
See User information
The back of the glove box door was "flocked" by the factory............................

Posted on: 2016/3/1 0:22
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved