Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Car Stalls When Put in Gear
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Or maybe a stuck Ultramatic governor?

JW, you're thinking of a failure of the direct drive clutch to bleed off its hydraulic pressure?

I suppose that might be possible, others more familiar with Ultramatic like Ross could comment. But I had a somewhat similar incident many years ago with my '54 Patrician. At cruising speed in converter lock-up I had to make a panic stop, locked up all 4 wheels instantly. Immediately thereafter the car wouldn't crank over but after sitting for perhaps a minute or so all was back to normal. I later assumed the converter stayed in lockup until the pressure bled down.

Posted on: 2016/3/29 13:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
O_D, like you write, except I believe the condition goes away when shifted out of gear and into N. It is like stopping a manual transmission car and not using the clutch. A not uncommon failure caused by dirt in the governor mechanism.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/3/29 13:11
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Andy Mylin
See User information
This is great information fellas.

I do have Easamatic power brakes and a Carter WCFB. Im assuming the electric is Delco Remy. I know the starter is.

I'll review this list in the garage and check back with what I find.

Posted on: 2016/3/29 14:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Stuck governors are a very common problem. I have a copy of a Packard internal memo about the need be very careful to flush the cases in production to forestall this problem.

Anyway, when you put it in gear, does it just sort of stumble to a halt, or does it seem like someone had let the clutch out on a stick shift car without giving enough gas?

Posted on: 2016/3/29 15:37
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Andy Mylin
See User information
Ross, The engine stops almost instantly much like the clutch on a stick shift.

Posted on: 2016/3/29 17:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Then that is almost certainly the governor. The transmission is under the impression that you are motoring at a good speed down the road and thus engages the direct drive clutch the instant you put the car in gear. Stall.

The governor is under the hex shaped sheet metal cover on the right side of the trans. Yes, it is possible to get the screws out with the trans in the car. Under the cover is the governor which a hydraulic spool valve that spins around when the car is moving. Hold it still with your hand, and unbolt it from its shaft. You can then take it out, clean it with carb cleaner, make sure its parts are perfectly free and then put it back. Usually, I am never able to see what made it stick, but stick it will.

You can attempt an easier fix: support the rear axle on good stout jack stands with the tires well off the floor. Get the engine warmed up and then put it in gear. The wheels should spin up. Run it up to 40 or so then back to idle several times. This might free the governor. To check let the speed drop to about 15 then slowly apply the brakes. If all is well the wheels should stop and the engine will keep going.

Posted on: 2016/3/29 21:02
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Andy Mylin
See User information
Hell Fellas, Im back from the garage.

In response to Owen Dynetos instructions to analyze the charging system.
- When the engine was off the battery read 6.38v.
- When idling with the lights on It dropped to 6.11.
- With increased engine speed and the lights on there was no increase in voltage.
- Using a Jump cable to connect the F terminal of the generator to the Ground wire I saw zero increase in voltage, thus my problem seems to be with the Generator. So Im making some calls to see if theres anyone locally comfortable with rebuilding what I have. Delco-Remy 1102778

Im also looking to pull the transmission governor per Ross's suggestion as soon as time allows. Thanks to all who posted. I'll keep you updated.

Posted on: 2016/3/30 19:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Easy things FIRST:
Try another condenser THAT IS KNOWN to bea good condenser.

Posted on: 2016/3/31 7:33
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mfowler
See User information
Now, THAT is a tidbit I will file away for future reference. May be a good negotiating point when buying a Ultramatic-equipped car that stalls when they put it in gear....

Posted on: 2016/4/2 6:32
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Andy Mylin
See User information
Hello Fellas,

It's been a few weeks and I thought Id bring you up to speed. The generator and regulator were removed and tested by a local auto electric guy. It seems the generator was working fine but the regulator was "all over the place" in his words. I replaced it with new.

Upon putting the car back and before I removed and evaluated the transmission governor, I was able to take it for a drive. The trans has not locked up since and Ive put about 50 miles on it with shifting that seemed to improve as time went by. Especially at low speeds, now the trans would downshift as needed and accelerate up shifting itself back into high as it should.

Im going to continue to put some miles on it and see how everything reacts. Thanks fellas!

Posted on: 2016/4/18 6:32
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved