Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
93 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 92

bullsh--ter, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1955-56 Trunk lid hinge problem
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ken Hill
See User information
I had this same thing happen to me on my '56 Clipper last summer. I ordered a replacement hinge, and my son and daughter helped me replace it. The paint color of the hinge does not match the car, but I'm not too worried about that. Replacing the hinge is easy; it is a little tricky get the lid to line up with the trunk. If you have the service manual, then there are instructions in there showing you how to do this. Good luck!

Posted on: 2016/3/4 16:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
does you trunk leak? that seal looks long overdue for a new one.

Posted on: 2016/3/4 22:44
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
cli55er Quote:
does you trunk leak? that seal looks long overdue for a new one.

It hardly ever rains in the Southern NV high desert and when it does, Pat is warmly ensconced in her garage.

BTW, I'll be doing a mini-restoration on her once Panther is completed next year. Some seals are on the todo list.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/3/5 8:57
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
truck seal,

my dad put his on the truck lid, took it out of channel, so water would not get trapped.

Posted on: 2016/3/5 12:58
Riki
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Warren Jones
See User information
Hi all. I also had this occur with the right side hinge about a month ago on my 56 400. I was about 120 miles from home but was fortunate to be able to insert the remnants of the rivet into the hole and close the trunk... It stayed closed there until I got home. I had a pair of spare hinges, but both were afflicted with the same wear in the same rivet/hole... I repaired the original hinge by welding the rivet back in place from the rear, making sure it was positioned correctly and clamped while I welded it. Hinge works perfectly now. I also did a left hand hinge ready for if/when this one fails... Photos below illustrate the old and the new...

Attach file:

jpg  (6.93 KB)
940_5700df30b46ee.jpg 320X240 px

jpg  (5.28 KB)
940_5700df4b05f9a.jpg 320X240 px

jpg  (8.41 KB)
940_5700df5ae6f25.jpg 320X240 px

Posted on: 2016/4/3 4:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved