Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Tom's '31 Restoration
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Hi All,

Figured I login in here also to see what is going on here. As I can see Kev you have done some great work here. Now only if we can get some more PRE-WAR guys to donate some materials. I don't have much on my end for material to donate I just have a service Manual (which is not really for my year but at least I have some guide for fixing things) and a Parts guide which at least is for my year.

Kev and others keep up the good work you have here. It sure goes along way for others like me that don't have much to go on.

THANKS
Tom

Posted on: 2007/1/11 20:38
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Re: Tom's '31 Restoration
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it!

Posted on: 2007/1/11 20:46
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Welcome, Tom!

Though I am a V8 guy, I've enjoyed your posts as we moved from the PAC, to ClassicCar.com, and AACA sites.

I'm sure the viewers here will enjoy reading more about your experience with your '31. Pix are easy to attach, too.

Don't be shy about donating scans of any Packard material you have. If that stuff helped you, it will help someone else in the future. As more items turn up here for pre-war cars, hopefully others will be inspired to contribute.

Posted on: 2007/1/13 17:08
 Top  Print 

Steering wheel nut size
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
What size is the nut that hold the steering wheel on? I measured 1-1/2" from flat to flat is this correct?

I want to stop at parts store on the way home from work and just making sure I buy the right size. The Parts manual didn't tell me what size.

Thanks

For Reference the nut is 1-7/16"

Posted on: 2007/2/27 11:06
 Top  Print 

'31 Trans/Clutch
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Hello Gents,

Went out to drop transmission today since it was recommended by you all and my friends to send out the lower half to the machine shop. Well I got the transmission off by myself and low and behold I found a broken spring laying in the valley under the clutch. I looked over the clutch and I see were it is missing from. See attach pictures.

My service parts manual doesn't have a call out for this spring does someone know the name and part number for it?

Where can I find a replacement spring?

Also how does the clutch come off the crank? Is it held on the by three 7/16" nuts that have the cotter pin?

Thanks for the help

Attach file:

jpg  (40.94 KB)
44_4608762ee9d39.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (47.35 KB)
44_4608765fec972.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (34.45 KB)
44_46087681b2383.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2007/3/26 20:42
 Top  Print 

Re: Tom's '31 Restoration (WD40 mess)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Not sure if I mention this but back in December when I received the car back from the body shop it was bare steel so it was recommended that I should spray the car down with WD40. O what a bad idea it still flashed rusted in spots and boy what a pain it was to get off. So here is a tip I received from a paint forum I frequent.

Tip for removal of WD40
Try cup of water
Cup of alcohol
1/4 cup of ammonia (optional if you have)

Wipe on and whip off with a different rag.

I could not find any alcohol at Menard's yesterday but they did have ammonia. So yesterday I spent a good portion of the day with bucket of very hot water and a few cups of the ammonia, wash met and some old rags for drying. It sure was a workout but it worked out really well.

Today I pulled out the DA and went to town sanding a panel at a time and then did each panel with metal ready because it was flash rusting on me. I know before I do any epoxy priming I will need to DA each panel again wipe it down with some lacquer thinner and then some wax/grease remover. Tack it and I should be good to go spraying the epoxy. RIGHT?????

Posted on: 2007/4/1 21:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
When I jacked the body up off the frame in the back between the body and the frame (near the body bolt) there was this material that reminded me of tar paper/shingles.

Was this original or was it added by someone? If original can I just go with tar paper again or ????

Was the purpose of this material so you wouldn't have metal to metal contact and was is it also to control the noise of metal to metal?

Attach file:

jpg  (37.43 KB)
44_465e2c6d96ae1.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2007/5/30 21:01
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved