Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
169 user(s) are online (99 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 169

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Packard steering box shim adjustment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
I have posted a couple of forum entries on the removal of the steering box on my '39 Packard Six. The sector shaft or cross shaft was the obvious problem as the side thrust bearings had disintegrated and the roller wheel was rotating on the pin! The 'play' was ridiculous. I had an excellent local machinist rebuild it and it now rotates like silk with no play. My question is: I have gone from about 14" of play in the steering wheel to about 2" and I presume the 'last 2%' can be tweaked by adjusting the shim count. Can anybody give me some guidance on what to do here? I presume I will have to have the shims machined and need to know what kind of procedure to follow to know how much to add. And that is if I am correct that you ADD shims and don't take some out!! Thanks to any who can help and for your time to respond.

Posted on: 2016/4/14 19:59
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print 

Re: Packard steering box shim adjustment
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Max Merritt has the shims, not cheap but cheaper then having some made. I found it was trial and error. Sounds like you need to add one thin shim and see what your play is.

Posted on: 2016/4/14 21:05

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
One removes shims one at a time to decrease the play. This moves the cross shaft closer to the worm gear. If too many shims are removed, the play will be zero at the center "high spot", but the cross shaft will have end play at the extremes which can make the steering gear "chuckle" as you turn and cross a bump, and might also make it bind at the center position.

Posted on: 2016/4/15 5:28
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You DON'T want to eliminate ALL free play with the steering wheel at the center position. 1-2" would be a good place to finalize on.

Posted on: 2016/4/15 8:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
If you look in the service manual you will find a detailed procedure for the steering box adjustment. It involves setting the pinion preload followed by the sector.

Beware, however, that the procedure does not account for wear at the high spot of the steering gear over center and, thus, some qualitative concessions are required and an acceptable compromise achieved.

Those steering boxes are not as robust as the later Saginaw recirculating ball design and so they wear out faster.

Posted on: 2016/4/15 20:22
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
I have a '41 Packard 120. Can this be adjusted without removing the steering box? The car has 47K on it and steering play is about 6".
All help appreciated.

Posted on: 2016/4/16 9:27
Proudly using my real name for 67 years.
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Mike, you really should try to get a copy or reprint of the owner's manual, lots of good service information. The image below is from that manual and should answer your question.

Attach file:

jpg  (171.83 KB)
177_57124fa94800b.jpg 928X1280 px

Posted on: 2016/4/16 9:40
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
Owen,
Thank you. I have an owner's manual, but did not think about looking in it! I will check it out.

Posted on: 2016/4/16 11:56
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Darrin180
See User information
With that much play (1941 120) the first thing I would check are the rubber bushings at the end of the pitman arm.....

Posted on: 2016/4/17 1:43
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Mike Burkhart
See User information
OK, I'll check that when I get it on the lift.
Thank you!

Posted on: 2016/4/17 9:11
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved