Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
131 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 127

Todd W. White, Mike Chirco, ECAnthony, Joe, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1937 Packard 120 new running board rubber mounting
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DJP-37-120
See User information
Hello, Would anyone have any advice or tips on installing new running board rubber mats on a 37 "120"? I have purchased new running board rubber from Steele Rubber. The new reproduction rubber mats have a flat bottom and the running boards have raised ribs down the length of the running board which I wonder if that would be a problem causing an uneven appearance? I asked the salesman at Steele Rubber and he said some customers bondo the top of the running board ribbed area flat and then install the rubber mats with formica adhesive? Does anyone have any experience or suggestions doing this and is formica adhesive the proper product to use?
Thanks
Dave

Posted on: 2016/6/14 19:11
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 Packard 120 new running board rubber mounting
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Formica adhesive would be contact cement..... Might use something like Weldwood brand.
John

Posted on: 2016/6/14 19:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
I'm no expert on bondo, but I don't think it was developed to be stepped on. As the steel running board would "give" or deflect slightly under load I'd expect the bondo to delaminate from the steel, develop multiple cracks and end up giving the running board covers a very lumpy look. It's a shame they can't make the cover to fit the ridges. I'd look into using rubber, vinyl or any other flexible material as thick as the ridges are high, cut into strips to fill in the troughs between the ridges. I'm sure there are a number of adhesives available that would be good for this application.

Posted on: 2016/6/14 22:03
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
I bought running board rubber from these guys and it came with adhesive. I'm sure they sell just adhesive as well:
www.northfieldltd.com

Posted on: 2016/6/15 10:46
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
If you decide to go with BDS's suggestion, Steele Rubber has a great return policy.

Posted on: 2016/6/15 17:41
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JohnCobb
See User information
There is a "Bondo" type of filler called Gold Rage that I believe would work very well for your project. You should tape over the small vulcanizing holes from the back side and then mix and spread the Rage on. It should take minimum sanding with 80 grit to get the surface level, then the adhesive should stick well and all should stay on for many, many years. I would suggest to not do bed liner spray, it is a bunch of work.

Posted on: 2016/6/15 19:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Why not use a black urethane adhesive? Cleanup the steel running boards - ensuring there is no rust or other issues with the steel. Fill the low spots on the running board with the urethane adhesive floating it off so there is a smooth surface. Let it cure for several days. You can then glue the rubber with either the urethane or contact cement. I would use the urethane.

The urethane is an extremely good adhesive, flexible and should last for a long time. Just take care of the rubber mat as the urethane will be a bear to remove when it is time to replace.

Posted on: 2016/6/15 23:15
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved