Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
46 user(s) are online (35 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 44

Joe, CCR, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Stiff gear selector
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Hi.
The gear selector on my Twin Ultramatic is very tardy and difficult to put into the "notches" for the different positions(gears). I assume the reason is lack of lubricant.
Does anyone know an easy way to lubricate this mechanism?
Thanks.

Tom

Posted on: 2016/6/21 6:41
 Top  Print   

Re: Stiff gear selector
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Is your car a column shift or push button?

Posted on: 2016/6/21 9:03
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The tardy leaves a bit to the imagination but here are a couple of thoughts.

Assuming you have the lever shift, I would start at the bellcrank or idler assy between the frame rail and transmission. I don't have any good pictures but the photo is a piece of a parts manual illustration showing the location. It is about a 6" long round bar with levers on each end and supported by brackets.. Make sure the brackets are in position and holding the bar in a straight line. Sometimes a bolt on the trans side can fall out and let the bracket get out of position. I believe there is a grease fitting and there may be some rubber cushions at the ends to allow the bar to move slightly as the engine moves. If so make sure those rubber parts are good and haven't fallen apart or swelled..

If everything checks out with the bellcrank mounts then you will have to determine whether the problem is at the column lever end or transmission end.

Remove the rod to the transmission and move the lever on the side of trans thru the range. There should be a slight tug to get it out of park and fairly free motion as it goes to neutral. As the internal linkage starts to move the selector valve out of neutral there will be distinct notches felt. It can require a bit of pressure to move in and out of the notches but the motion should be relatively easy.

There should be almost no slop when you hit a notch and then reverse direction with the lever as if you were going back to a previous notch. If you can move the lever so the outside end moves more than maybe 1/8" total I would suspect the setscrew holding an internal lever to the shaft has loosened. That was a common issue and if you encounter excess motion or slop at the trans lever it might explain the tardy or difficult to get into a notch symptom.

If the trans side feels good then before you reconnect the trans rod go inside the car and move the shift lever thru the range and see if it and the bellcrank feels free and smooth. There are no detents on that side. The only obstruction should be that you need to lift the gearshift lever to move it out of park and I believe it also has to raise slightly to go into reverse position.

Depending on where the problem seems to be would determine the next step.

Attach file:

jpg  (155.75 KB)
209_57695387343c1.jpg 1020X882 px

Posted on: 2016/6/21 9:54
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Thanks for promt answers.

The problem is in the column shift selector itself. The motion forwards and backwards is very stiff and sticky; I have to push it forwards. See picture.

Tom

Attach file:

jpg  (223.89 KB)
2927_576a8757537d2.jpg 1920X1238 px

Posted on: 2016/6/22 7:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not much to lube but here is a couple of more thoughts. There is a pin going thru the lever and rotating piece. Lube might have dried so you might try a drop of oil on either side and let it work into the hole in lever. Possibly the rubber collar has swelled or become hard. Not sure oil is the best there so you might see if you can get a bit of silicone spray to enter the space around the lever to lube the rubber.

There is also a bushing and tension like affair at the bottom which holds the shift tube and keeps the lever in position on the tube. Doubt that is causing any problem since you can move the shift lever thru the range but it has probably never seen any lube since leaving the factory. Since you are in the area you might see if you can reach in the slot on the side near the firewall where the lower lever exits the column and put a few drops of oil on the tube so it can run down to the end and moisten the bushings.

This drawing is of a short 56 column but the 55 has a similar arrangement. If it is still stiff after the oil then the column will probably have to be disassembled to find the problem.

Attach file:

jpg  (123.09 KB)
209_576a9a4058878.jpg 1182X1758 px

Posted on: 2016/6/22 9:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
A small and carefully applied dab of brake fluid on the rubber bushing may also help.

(o{}o)

P.S. I have also had luck with PB Blaster to soften rubber.

Posted on: 2016/6/22 10:12
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Thanks for the tips.
I more or less filled the socket shaft(3.32584) with CRC 5-56 and lubed the rubber bushing with silicone. The lever is moving more easy now, but I have discovered that the pin/hole in the lever is worn, so perhaps it's a mechanical issue?
Tom

Posted on: 2016/6/23 15:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Usually, the drive pin wears the hole in the column part. It is made of a softer metal than the pin. If it is the lever that is worn, you will be able to repair it easier than if is the column part. Drive the pin out with a punch, but be sure to support the column part so as not to break it. Good luck.

(o{}o)

P.S. Steele may have a new rubber bushing. It is a common part used in many makes.

Posted on: 2016/6/23 16:47
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rocky46
See User information
Thanks for advice. I'll try to punch out the pin.
Tom

Posted on: 2016/6/25 11:44
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved