Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
166 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 165

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10)

Re: Richter's '53 Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
As the fluid was crystallized the Treadle Vac will need rebuilding. You might be able to fill it,have the brakes work fine and 5 minutes or 50 miles alter have no brakes. Safety first, doubtful it is the steel lines that are clogged, 800psi from then master cyl will take car of that.

If the MC is shot then it is likely so are the wheel cyls. Remove a drum and shoes and peel back the wheel cyl boots, if it is wet or has crystallized junk in it, they also neeed rebuilding or replacing

Sometimes they are dry but the pistons are frozen. Try pushing on the metal piston, it should move freely, try both ends. If not you know what to do.

Brake failure is often attributed to "that damn Treadle Vac" in these forums. If an engine failure were attributed to "that damn engine" that the owner had not changed the oil in 30 years and had not topped it up regularly we would know it was the owner's fault. Same with the brakes but much more convenient to blame the Bendix Corp.

Posted on: 2016/6/28 16:46
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
As long as Fred is contributing here (good thing) why is it that todays TV rebuilds are not as sensitive as was my first 400 back in 1961-65. My friend Chris used to warn me to keep all the windows wound up tightly in the summer because if you didn't and a fly got in and landed on the brake pedal, it could put you thru the windshield.

Posted on: 2016/6/28 20:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richter12x2
See User information
Going to start working on this again soon- after the move, went ahead and rushed into building a new 1200 sq ft garage workshop so I can store everything AND have room to work, and doing the work myself has taken most of my time. :P

Just won a nice VS60 on eBay though, so the 'hot rod' Packard will remain Packard powered, and now I'm more excited about getting them out and going down the road again.

In case this is the first I've mentioned the 'hot rod' Packard, the 2nd Packard Caribbean I picked up as a parts car is in a lot better shape, and nearly complete, so it will get as factory a restoration as I can manage.

The second Caribbean is going to be too expensive most likely, to repair perfectly, but without ruining it, I think I will make an amazing, rare hotrod car. Basically as much Caribbean stuff as I can find, but more focused on driving than originality. I was playing with the idea of putting some exotic engine in it, but finally landed on keeping the Packard 327, but adding a Studebaker VS60 supercharger. This would be the 666 car. :D

Posted on: 2017/9/5 15:13
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 7 8 9 (10)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved