Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 140

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Rear Engine neoprene main seal?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
Hi All,

I have been looking through the forums for anything in relation to a neoprene seal to suit a straight 8 (1934) engine. I noticed theres a modern replacement for the v8 but can't find anything for the earlier models. I had my engine rebuilt about 5 years ago but it has always seemed to leak from the rear main. I am looking to redo this soon but thought I'd investigate any other options before using another rope seal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers,
Mat

Posted on: 2016/5/13 7:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear Engine neoprene main seal?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Is the delfector/oil slinger at the rear main bearing damaged? IIRC there is an oil return hole for the slinger spin-off to return that oil to the crankcase - is the passage clear? Properly installed rope seals typically last the life of the engine w/o problems.

Posted on: 2016/5/13 9:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
That could most likely be the issue, I've now ordered a new seal and once that arrives I'll pull the sump off and check it all out. This way I can check everything and if needed can replace the seal. I'm guessing if the seal needs replacing this can be done without having to pull the whole engine out?

Posted on: 2016/5/14 3:00
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm guessing if the seal needs replacing this can be done without having to pull the whole engine out?

Yes, generally where a graphited rope rear seal is used it's a bit of a tedious job but it can be done with engine in place. But as I recall your engine just uses a slinger intergral with the crankshaft and running in a groove with a cored return hole to the crankcase. Has my memory failed me on this detail?

Posted on: 2016/5/14 8:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Had PACKARDs come in the shop with owners complaining of the Rear Main leaking and ive found it to be the Throw Out Bearing BIJUR supply hose or fitting. Just my suggesting that u take a look at these if u havent all ready. I add DYE in the BIJUR and do a Ultra Voilet test. Can do it with the motor oil and trans oil also to find out where its coming from.

https://www.amazon.ca/Tracer-Products-TP34000601-Fluorescent-Detection/dp/B000JFHNTM

Posted on: 2016/5/14 9:34
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Jones Jr.
See User information
Owen

I have a 1941 packard straight 8 282 engine when i overhauled it i was amazed that it had no seal of any kind just a slinger integral with the crankshaft as you mention. I find it hard fo believe Packard used a rope seal on earlier engines. I wish they did because i think it is a better system than a slinger

My engine leaks a little but not too bad i wish there was way to put a neoprene sealbin but i have not heard of it, have you?

Posted on: 2016/5/14 23:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
I think I'm in the same boat as Williej. Attached is a photo of a rear main seal I have (don't worry its not out of the 34 that bearing has seen better days) but I am guessing from looking at the photo there should be something that goes into the slit to help stop the oil running out. This is the same as what I have in the 34, there's nothing in the slit/groove. What's needed for the slinger to work correctly?

many thanks,
Mathew

Attach file:

jpg  (186.35 KB)
24_5781a23fab2c1.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2016/7/9 20:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The hole in the slit must be open to allow the collected oil to return to the crankcase. In my experience the slinger arrangement works flawlessly.

Posted on: 2016/7/10 8:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Both of my Packards leak at the rear seal. My 37 has been rebuilt recently and it leaks so much that I have a drip pan underneath it. Really frustrating. Don't know what you do to stop the leaking

Posted on: 2016/7/10 12:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
No Packard prior to 1940 had any type of "rear crankshaft seal" at all, thus you will not find any for sale or any manuals telling you how ti install one. The vehicle in question needs only one thing for the rear slinger to work, the crankshaft must be turning so it slings excess oil in to the return groove.

I would not recommend trying to outthink the engineers from East Grand Boulevard and cram a rope seal into the groove which is not intended for that use.

Old cars even when they were new were not antiseptic like a new Lexus, they coughed, spit and leaked a bit.

Posted on: 2016/7/11 10:46
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved