Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 102

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 »

Re: Debi's 1953 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
Transmissions and internal clutches are the same on junior/senior cars

Thanks
James

Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2016/2/7 8:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
I just got the 53 Patrician from the transmission shop. The jr. transmission I installed in the car, the shop said was trashed, so I gave them the original sr. transmission and they rebuilt it. Now it drove fine, except that it locks into gear at about 45 mph. I need to take it back in to get it adjusted to lock in at 20-25 mph.

Posted on: 2016/3/9 0:31
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
While looking to see why the car does not accelerate very well, I decided to remove the intake/exhaust manifolds. I figured I had an exhaust leak and probably a vacuum leak as well. I removed the fenders, grill and bumper. I pulled the headers off and found a vacuum leak: the windshield wiper motor has a hose going to it that was the vacuum problem. The car starts up fine now and is quieter. I have not gone for a drive yet. I noticed some liquid on the drivers front tire, so I ordered and received 2 front brake wheel cylinders. When I pulled off the brake drums I noticed the brake shoes were a little thin, so I ordered new brake shoes too. The master brake cylinder was just replaced. When I rebuilt the car I checked the wheel cylinders, I even honed them out, so they looked good. Now one is leaking. It's good to catch it now.
After the brakes are changed and it's running good, then I'll take it back to the transmission shop and get the shifting spot adjusted to 20 mph not 40 mph.

Posted on: 2016/5/25 21:30
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Direct lock up should be at approx 45 mph

Posted on: 2016/5/26 9:05
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Direct lock up should be at approx 45 mph

Road speed at which lock up occurs is variable and depends on how much throttle you're giving it. Under very light acceleration it could and should be about 23-25 mph.

Posted on: 2016/5/26 9:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
I am still getting the car in running shape.
I found the front brake shoes were the wrong size. The brakes work even better now.
I had the exhaust system replaced thinking that the muffler might be blocked, it wasn't, but it is quieter.
I took the distributor to a repair shop here in Phoenix. They said the vacuum advance was bad and they sent it to somewhere in Dallas for repair. They also said my slow acceleration and pinging is from not being timed correctly. I thought I had it, but it's hard to time it when you can't see the marks. One web site said to move the power steering pump out of the way to see the timing marks. That I'll try when the distributor comes back.

Then I can take it back to the transmission shop to get the shift readjusted to lock in at about 20 mph.

Posted on: 2016/8/1 13:37
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Too late for you, and this will probably get lost, but the company that rebuilds the vacuum advances is "Rebuilders Specialty" in Forney, TX. Very reasonable and pretty quick turnaround. Not listed on their website...mostly diesel injectors....

Posted on: 2016/8/1 13:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
Thanks, I usually learn things too late, but it might help someone else.
I did want to get my distributor rebuilt as I have no idea how to do it.

Posted on: 2016/8/1 13:54
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
I took my car to a mechanic. It just would not accelerate. He found the rotor was touching something inside the cap and filed off the end so it no longer touches. Then he replaced all spark plugs. He then checked the carburetor, which I had rebuilt. Then he set the timing of the engine. And I drove it home 24 miles on the freeway, at 60 mph. It ran great. It does have a ticking sound, but I can't tell if it's a lifter or an exhaust leak from the exhaust manifold. It almost sounds like the same noise I got from the 40 160 Sedan before I had the intake/exhaust manifolds ground flat.
I will be driving this car to the cruise night this weekend. I'm glad to have it running. I can now call up my transmission shop and get the transmission adjusted. It still locks up in gear at over 40mph, but it's working and driving.
Now on to the next challenge.

Posted on: 2016/9/21 19:11
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Duane Gunn
See User information
Took the car to the transmission shop to get the transmission shift adjusted. On the test drive with a mechanic, we heard this loud bang! Car got noisy, the brand new muffler was blown. The transmission shop did not want to work on it.
I talked to many people as to why the car was now backfiring through the exhaust and carburetor. Was told it was in the ignition. One guy said to pull the distributor and bring it to him, so I did. He found the distributor shaft was loose.
The distributor was just rebuilt, I said. Well the shop did not replace the distributor's bushing. After I gave it back to the shop to finish rebuilding my distributor, I installed it and it ran great, except it was a little loud!
With a new muffler, it now sounds good. I can hear the lifters now, but it runs great!
Maybe the transmission shop will adjust the shift point now...

Posted on: 2016/10/12 23:17
1955 Clipper Custom
1940 160 Touring Sedan
1953 Patrician
1948 Super 8 Limo
 Top  Print 

« 1 ... 9 10 11 (12) 13 14 15 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved