Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
150 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 149

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Heli-coil application(s)...
Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Hi,

I figured that I would ask this here as the other (non-Packard) forums that I am a member of, just get ridiculous. ...and people are just smarter here.

I stripped out threads on a front wheel spindle. They are the threads for the caliper slider bolts. (only one of the two bolt holes stripped out. This is for a '97 Dodge Dakota. The brakes on this vehicle are a little strange and basically too small. I say this because for as long as I have had the vehicle (since new) the brakes ALWAYS wear unevenly. Meaning a single pad may wear more on one end then the other. Which to me means the caliper is twisting. This has even occurred with new calipers with new slider bolts and rubber bushings on them.

That all being said, would you trust a heli-coil in this application? I haven't installed one before. I have tapped new threads many times before tho. I planned on "practicing" on another piece of cast iron before installing the final one.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,

Mark

P.S. The bolt thread is 9mm x 1.25. To show how small they are.

Posted on: 2016/8/23 16:30
 Top  Print 

Re: Heli-coil application(s)...
Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
I have always understood that a properly inserted helicoil is stronger than the original thread. It is essential that the drill and tap be square to the face so if you are drilling by hand held drill you will need to make two jigs, one for the drill and another for the tap. Easily made on any lathe.
http://www.crosstools.com.au/helicoil-type-inserts-technical-study-of-strength-and-pullout.html

Posted on: 2016/8/23 17:42
 Top  Print 

Re: Heli-coil application(s)...
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
With a little care and using the tap drill they supply in the kit, you will not have any trouble with that.

Posted on: 2016/8/23 20:02
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved