Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (103 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 213

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1956 Rochester 4 barrel carburetor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Found this, so the Hudsons/Nash's only used a 2 barrel?
http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/packardengine.pdf

Posted on: 2016/9/8 17:20
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
It has the 352. 320 was only in '55.

Posted on: 2016/9/8 18:13
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
Both the Nash and Hudson came with a small two barrel carburetor, which in my opinion, was too small for that engine. I think that Nance did not want the AMC cars to be too powerful, as their body was much lighter than the Packard body. They also only came with a single exhaust and the engine was de tuned with less compression. AMC had a better oil pump though. I had the engine rebuilt with the same compression that Packard offered. Ran fine with the Rochester for about 5 years, and could really notice the performance difference ! Also the stock carburetor had a return line to the gas tank, and the Rochester carburetor has none. Maybe that is contributing to vapor lock on very hot days.

Posted on: 2016/9/8 18:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Can the broken screw be drilled and backed out?

Posted on: 2016/9/8 21:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I had a 56 clipper super with a carter 2 barrel 352 engine ran great. And great gas mileage.

If you get needle out. 1-1/2 turns out is the starting point. Back them out and you will here engine smooth out.

As was said check choke. If its shut. Loosen the screws on temp unit.rotate it clockwise. I have mine set so that there is a apprx 3/16ths. Gap when cold. Does not shut. When hot Its fully open.

Posted on: 2016/9/9 1:52
Riki
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Nevada56Hudson
See User information
Screw broke off of the center of the choke cover. Took out, cleaned and re-gapped all the RN14YC Plugs, which were covered with black soot. Engine runs a lot better and smother now. Will take off the Rochester when time and $ permits, and have it rebuilt and have the jets adjusted, if I can find a competent person to do the carburetor.
The engine oil gets black and thinner after driven about 100 miles after an oil change, so suspect some gas is washing down the cylinders.

Posted on: 2016/9/17 15:59
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved