Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
77 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 77

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

The Packard Esquire
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
For today's "Gear Head Tuesday" post, we "re-print" (with permission) George Hamlin's article about the Packard Esquire that originally appeared in the Summer 2011 issue of The Packard Cormorant. Many thanks to George for allowing this, and to Stuart Blond for his help in providing a PDF file of that issue club's publication.

Also, further thanks to "Dave B." for adding additional material and photos!

<https://56packardman.com/2016/09/06/gear-head-tuesday-the-packard-esquire/>

Attach file:

jpg  (40.28 KB)
13111_57cee9fa219d2.jpg 640X382 px

jpg  (279.76 KB)
13111_57ceea14d5479.jpg 1920X1500 px

Posted on: 2016/9/6 11:07
 Top  Print   

Re: The Packard Esquire
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
This post has been updated with a couple of minor corrections.

https://56packardman.com/2016/09/06/gear-head-tuesday-the-packard-esquire/

Posted on: 2016/9/7 10:07
 Top  Print   

Re: The Packard Esquire Owner's "Supplement"
Home away from home
Home away from home

John McCall and Mitch Parker
See User information
Woa there, Esquire enthusiasts!

The Packard Esquire Owner's Supplement that was supplied in this updated article is not an actual document from the DuBois Agency. It is something I conjured up in my own mind to include eventually with our project of recreating a replica Esquire! I am honored that my graphic and journalistic skills made someone actually believe that this supplement existed, and I don't know how a copy of this ever reached the Packard mainstream, but no harm done...just please understand that it is something I dreamed up, and this document was never intended to be used beyond the glove box door of our present Four-Hundred.

Furthermore, it is interesting that I mentioned the "Hypalon" top as a possible option on the Esquire--NEVER KNOWING THAT ONE ACTUALLY CAME SO EQUIPPED! I had included this narrative only because I was considering including a reproduction of one on my replica Esquire.

You can imagine my zeal a few minutes ago after reading the Esquire posting, thinking there actually WAS an Owner's Supplement. I couldn't wait to compare it to what I had written, and then, lo...and behold!

John Clark McCall, Jr. [Esquireman]

(Our proposed Esquire is pictured in the Owner's Registry of 1956 Four-Hundreds along with the future color scheme).

Posted on: 2016/9/12 12:00
1956 Packard Caribbean Convertible
1956 Packard Patrician Touring Sedan
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
1949 Custom Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Hypalon is a DuPont trademark for a chlroro sulfonated polymer used on the 56 Caribbean hdtop. I believe that DuPont shut down production some time ago. The same chemical is still made by others and applied to fabric, for inflatable boats, snow shoes, and other stuff.

Posted on: 2016/9/12 13:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
Moving from the Esquire to another Packard "What If":
<https://56packardman.com/2016/09/13/gear-head-tuesday-could-this-car-have-saved-packard/>

Attach file:

jpg  (32.02 KB)
13111_57d8484f9aef7.jpg 704X398 px

Posted on: 2016/9/13 13:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Nice read, but still a Studebaker underneath......

John

Posted on: 2016/9/13 20:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
"... still a Studebaker underneath ..."

Indeed! I have long been of the opinion that one of the big mistakes in the Curtiss-Wright deal was giving up the engine and transmission plant in Utica. It seems to me they should have leased that portion of the plant back and kept building Packard V-8s and Ultramatic Drive transmissions there. Everyone knew that although the Studebaker V-8 was basically a good engine, the bore spacing did not allow for a displacement increase beyond 289 cubic inches. (I know that some of the Avanti engines were bored out to slightly over 300 cubic inches.) The Packard V-8 had been designed with expansion in mind - the planned '57s would have displaced 440 cubic inches. Had they kept the ability to manufacture Packard engines and transmissions a Packard V-8 in that Studebaker body as was the case with the '56 Golden Hawk would have made John Bridges proposed Packard Hawk much more of a Packard, especially if it were also fitted with Ultramatic.

Posted on: 2016/9/14 1:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
The only trouble was the Packard V-8 was a heavy engine.
The handling wasn't very good when they used the Packard V-8 in the Studebaker Hawk.
I think it was a matter of time for all the independents to go under eventually. If Packard hadn't join Studebaker when it did, Studebaker would have also been gone probably by 1957 0r '58.

John

Posted on: 2016/9/14 11:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
John, actually, the weight difference between the Packard and Studebaker V-8s was not that much to make a noticeable difference in handling. They were both big lumps of iron.

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/9/14 11:42
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

phsnkw
See User information
Hmmmm. A Packard 440 in a Studebaker Scotchman. That would make a surprise at a stop light.

Posted on: 2016/9/14 11:56
"Do you ever think about the things you do think about?"

Inherit the Wind
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved